Chapter 7

~Edited~

Nick

A low groan left my mouth as I peeled my open my eyes, I grinned at the person sleeping soundly beside me. Sara helped the short, spunky, brunette change into her spare clothes and washed her face in the bathroom sink. Her face always looked exquisite and mesmerizing. Everyone thought Megan was somehow Mallary's twin, but I knew she was so much more than that. Everything about this girl made me smile, and she had been the only person to be able to do that since my Mom died and Dad got remarried to a bitch.

I hoped that when she woke up that Megan would remember what I had said before she passed out in my bed. She'd probably think she acted stupid while drunk, but the brown eyed girl had actually been almost lifeless. And just to be sure she wouldn't slip into a coma on me, I stayed in bed with her and watched her sleep until my own eyes closed.

The party had died down sometime around 3 and everyone had left, besides a few stragglers that passed out in the yard or on a couch. My childhood best friend and her boyfriend took a guest room of their choosing, so did Cristian and Reina. Luke had dibs on the master bedroom, he always slept there when he came over, then Hunter chose to stay up a little while longer than any of us because he wanted to try out the game room we just put in the basement, which was where he ended up falling asleep.

Due to my high alcohol tolerance I didn't feel much the morning after drinking, which turned out to be a good thing because then I could take care of my guests who weren't so good at dealing with hangovers. I liked taking care of people.

My eyes averted to the girl sleeping soundly beside me. I didn't understand why she had lied to us about her family, it just didn't make sense then, it would, but not then. Everything in my body wanted to protect her from anything, even if it killed me. When I heard her scream from the locker room the other day every nerve went on full alert and my brain told me to run. Run really, really fast. I wanted Ross' blood on my hands when I saw his hands on her, the tears ran down her face and it had been because of him. No one would hurt her again, I promised myself that morning, no one.

Megan's face contorted in confusion but it sooned turned into fear. I froze as I watched her arms move tight around her body and her feet kicked lightly under the blankets. I didn't hear her first few words but I saw her lips move and a murmur reached my ears.

"No. . please. Get away from me!" The girl cried out and I sat up instantly. Her body moved around as if she had just gone into a seizure, but her eyes were still closed tightly yet tears began to stream down her face. "STOP! Just please, not again. . ."

"Megan, it's okay." I whispered in her ear as I attempted to soothe her, but I got pushed away.

"Please don't hurt me anymore." She'd gotten angry and sad, her voice came out through gritted teeth and her body was still thrashing around in my bed. The sound that came out of her mouth next sounded like what I can only describe as death, it had been like she'd just watched someone she loved be murdered in front of her or something was happening that she couldn't stop.

"NO!" Megan's body sat up and she kept screaming. I wrapped my arms around her and did my best to hold her down as she cried out in pain and her body moved around.

"It's me, Megs. It's Nick, I've got you." I chanted into her ear then suddenly she just went limp in my arms at the mention of my name. I desperately wanted to question her on what just happened in her head, but I didn't want to scare her off or anything.

"Nick?" Her voice had gone hoarse from the screaming and it hurt me to hear and see her like that. She'd always seemed to be confident and strong, but seeing her weak made it difficult to look at her. "Wha- ah, my head."