Chapter 2

~Edited~

Gym had become the hour where I acted the most outgoing as possible over the week. On the one hand, Sara had been showing me how to be 'flirty' and 'attractive' since Luke, one of my options, had that class with us. But in my own mind I was really hoping that Nick had noticed how I acted, and that statement made me sick to my stomach.

You know how in tv shows the guy always falls for the girl when she's not paying attention to him? She'd laughing with her friends or smiling at someone's joke and in that moment the guy suddenly sees her differently. In that moment, he falls for her. And that, I thought, was how I wanted someone to fall for me.

My body made contact with the floor as soon as I had gotten hit in the head with the volleyball. Sass rushed over with a slight giggle erupting out of her mouth. I gave my best eye roll while I ignored the burning pain, then the brunette lended me her hand and helped me off the gym floor.

"Sorry." She shrugged.

"Whatever, you probably did that on purpose." I shoved her with a grin.

"Only because you weren't paying attention." Sass sighed. "If you wanna try out for volleyball next week with me you're at least going to have to pay attention during our practice time."

"Who said I wanted to play? I've never touched a volleyball in my entire life until Tuesday, Sass."

"Well me and my sister play together and she always has fun. Trust me, you're going to love it. Okay?" Her eyes gave me a pleading look behind her brown rimmed glasses, so I nodded.

I'd begun to notice that whenever Sass wanted me to do something, she'd mention that it was something that she'd done with her sister. I didn't know if she was older or younger but I'd never met her. And I hadn't asked anyone about her. I didn't even know her name because Sara never said it, but for some reason, if she brought her up I always said yes.

I honestly felt like Sass had become a real friend, I didn't have to pull out a fake personality with her and even if I tried she'd see through it. I'd only known her for a few days but we almost were never not talking or texting each other. And the girl with green eyes never questioned how close we got so fast, so I didn't either. I liked being her friend. I liked being friends with all of my new friends at Plainwell.

"Hey Megs, got some crush news." Nate jogged over in his basketball shorts and shirt.

"Spill." Sass grabbed my arm tightly while she anticipated the breaking news for her boyfriend. I'd wondered a few times how he'd put up with her for so long.

I knew it had to be about Luke, it was the only one of my 'options' who were available/approved by Ms. Matchmaker who was currently cutting off my circulation. Since Tuesday Nate and Cristian had gotten the tall bleach blonde senior to sit with us at lunch and go out with us to the football field for free period. He taught me how to properly throw a football yesterday. A part of me hoped that it'd help minimize my feelings for Nick, but I just wasn't attracted to Luke. But I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings by speaking up about being uncomfortable. I felt kind of forced into this, I sorta was anyways.

"So this earlier in the locker room some of the guys were talking about girls, like usual, but someone threw your name into the mix." Nate spoke with a lot of hand gestures as his girlfriend's claws went deeper into my arm. "I asked Luke how he felt about you so far and he admitted, you are cute. But he'd never date because he feels like you're his little sister."

Blood flows through my arm again as Sara lets out her frustration. She really wants me to have a boyfriend, it was almost scary. After my friend had her little moment she pulled me in for a hug her face away from Nate.