1 | NOT IF I SEE YOU FIRST

N. Hanson's Point of View

"School is finally out. Are you excited about summer?" Bryce asked, he walked right alongside me with a book and a binder in his hand, having opted to not take a backpack to our last days of classes.

I laughed a little as I grabbed onto the straps of my bag, "Do you even have to ask me?" I said with a grin.

Bryce chuckled at my remark. I began to think about it, summer I mean. Summer is portrayed as such a fun, carefree time of any teen's life. But, I knew most of my summer would be spent in my room-- listening to music and wasting away.

"What's on your mind?" asked Bryce, his voice pulling me away from my thoughts. I looked over at him to find he was interpreting my facial expressions very closely, his brows knitted together and eyes narrowed as he attempted to get a read on me.

I quickly looked away from him, fearful that if I looked at him any longer, he'd be able to do just that. Instead, I focused on something else, the stop sign in the distance. I sighed now, staring off, "We're getting old," I commented.

"15 is not that old."

"To a 6-year-old, you and I are old." I returned, the corners of my lips curved upwards as I looked over at the boy. His head was tilted a bit to the side, bottom lip pouted outwards as he thought of a reply.

He licked his lips before speaking, "Yeah but to a 3-year-old, a 6-year-old is old."

"Okay, no more saying 'old'..", shaking my head, "... It doesn't even sound like a real word anymore."

Bryce laughed along, I looked over at him and smiled, he reciprocated the same expression as I did, making me smile even harder now. I shook my head as if I could shake my head around and somehow the thoughts lingering in the back of my head would slip out of my brain, fly out of my ears, and land on the sidewalk for someone to smoosh underneath their dirty shoes.

As our laughter faded, I was quick to speak and to fill the growing silence between us, "What are you up to tomorrow?"

That familiar, charming smile spread across his face, "I thought you'd never ask," he deviously grinned, leaning towards me now. I tilted my head, a brow raised, gesturing for him to go on. He spoke immediately, "I'm doing whatever you're doing " Bryce then playfully winked at me.

That's when we reached the corner before the turn into our neighborhood. Bryce and I stopped at the stop sign I had fixated on earlier, facing one another so we could share a goodbye before not seeing each other until the next day.

"I'll see you here tomorrow?" I asked, well not really asked. It was more of a statement than me getting the reassurance of whether or not Bryce would meet me in the morning, I knew he would-- he always did.

After I spoke, one corner of Bryce's lips curved up into an enchanting smirk, "Not if I see you first," he said in a sing-song voice.

Then we went our separate ways-- walking to our homes alone only to meet again in the morning.