twenty one

"HEY! HEY! HEY!" Present Mic appeared on the screen at the corner wall of the waiting room, making things worse for my anxiety.

This is it.

As the Opening Ceremony commenced on the first-year stage, I stayed behind in the room and sat on a chair with my hands covering my ears.

I need to clear my head before the festival starts, but I can't do that with my heart matching to the beat of drums outside.

I looked up when I felt a tap on my shoulder and saw Kenji smiling down at me.

He took my hands away from my ears and knelt down to my level. "Nervous?"

"You have no idea."

"I actually do, since we're both competing for the same thing here. Can't say the same for our sibling though."

Oh right, I almost forgot. There's one more candidate at father's disposal, and I'm more than excited to meet her.

Kenji took out a silver ring from his pocket and placed it on my palm. "A little something for you, I hope it helps."

I smiled and pulled him in for a hug. "Where did you-"

"Let's just say that a certain someone came through for his sister." He winked at me. "Consider it as a good luck charm, since we're bound to meet at the finals. You'll be needing a lot of it by then against me."

I hit the back of his head playfully. "No matter the result, we'll still be siblings, okay?"

"Right back at you. Now let's go out there and make dad proud."

I plan to.

"And now, the first year who topped the charts in the hero course- Quincy Romero!"

I narrowed my eyes at her as she stepped up to the stage.

"Its an honor to be standing in front of you all today. I know I'm here because I placed first in the exams, but we shouldn't forget what this festival is really about. Today I'm encouraging everyone to give it their all and aim for the top!" She raised her fist and had everyone cheering. "So good luck to all of us and let's all have a great sports festival this year!"

Kenji snorted loudly, noting my distained reaction to her plastic speech. "Seems like dad found himself another competent freak to take up his work."

"W-Wait, that's her?! The new kid?"

"Yep- oh and by the way, the wretch who made an attempt o your life?" He nudged his eyebrow to the screen. "Also happens to be her."

"That bitch!" I got up from my seat and grabbed Kenji by his arm on the way out. "Come on, the first game's about to start and I'm not gonna lose to some smug little piece of shit!"

Once out of the door, I nearly fell back when I saw Kirishima leaning against the wall.

"Hey." He waved at us.

"H-Hi." I elbowed my brother and mouthed for him to go on without me, and thankfully he did. "What are you doing here? Isn't the sophomore games about to start?"

"In a few minutes yeah, but I really wanted to see you before it does." He scratched the back of his neck bashfully. "I-Its pretty embarrassing to say, but whenever I'm around you, I feel like I'm.. home. And there's no other place I'd rather be at."

I smiled. "That's so sweet of you Kiri."

The redhead cupped my cheek with his palm and I nuzzled against, leaving a dust of red across his face.