thirty nine

~ Ayaka's Point of View ~

After Altair and Katsuki had their talk in the garden, I got up from my seat and asked Kenji to head inside the manor to find Ego and ask him to drive our dear guest home.

My brother shoved his hands into his pockets and took one last look at Katsuki before leaving without another word.

"Katsuki-"

"I love you." His voice held a hint of longing and desperation, it was enough to make my face feel warm. "So much."

Regardless, I remained focused on the issue at hand as I turned around to face him. "Do you have any idea what you just got yourself into?"

"Well, I don't know if you noticed but I kind of played a big part in the whole conversation so, yeah."

"I meant getting involved. I told you my family is not ready for us- much less acknowledge you as my boyfriend. They're not inviting you to the trip in order to get to know you, they're-"

"It's not like they're gonna kill me." The question lingered in the air for a brief moment. "Right?"

I know it was meant to be a joke but I sensed something hostile behind his words as his eyes searched mine like he's waiting for a reaction that would confirm some kind of suspicion.

He knows something.

I looked away from him and sighed. "What I meant to say was they're having you tag along so you'd make a complete fool of yourself in front of them. This isn't the kind of vacation getaway you might be expecting."

The ash blonde boy shrugged and smirked. "Trust me, I'm not what they're expecting either."

A cold shiver ran down my spine.

For the longest time, I had one wish and one alone. To keep Katsuki away from my world, a world where blood runs as deep as the blade penetrating it.

The air between us became unbearably cold and unnerving as we walked down the long corridor. Neither of us decided to start a conversation until I felt his hand on mine.

I blinked up at him in confusion.

He didn't break eye contact when he raised my fingers to his lips. "Are you upset?"

"No, just.. scared."

"You don't have to be. I'm here, I'll keep you safe."

I forced a smile and stood on my toes to plant a kiss on his forehead. "I'll keep you safe, too."

And I swear it on my life.

~ Katsuki's Point of View ~

We made our way out front where a Bentley was parked in the driveway waiting for me.

When I turned to Ayaka to say goodbye, I caught a glimpse of a man with a cane in my peripheral vision in one of the windows on the second floor.

He was barely visible due to the lack of light in that room, but he was clearly watching us. And I think I have a hunch on just who the fuck this guy is.

"Careful on your way home, okay?" Ayaka lifted her hand up to my cheek and started rubbing circles with her thumb.

I smiled down at her and took my time to admire her features before leaning down to capture her lips with mine.

They were soft and warm, as always. She never failed to make my heart beat wildly even before. With her, it just felt so right.

This tiny human being right here feels like home- my fucking home.