twenty five

Right as the giant ice shard darted in Kenji's direction, he used the rain to his advantage with his ever so confident tactics.

He ran towards the shard head-on and, with no hesitation, threw a makeshift spear into the air just as he dropped down to slide under it, the momentum pulling him forward.

The shard I created with a certain amount of difficulty was destroyed in a matter of seconds.

"You really shouldn't give me such big-ass targets." He grinned, spinning a knife in his hand. "You know I'll never miss."

Its no good to use water at this point. I know for a fact that I can only use it to defend myself right now, which means I need something else to control. But I don't wanna win this like how I did with Hideo. And besides, my vision's been blurred by the continuous rainfall, and I can't control what I can't see.

Instead of paying any mind to doubt, I covered my arms with water and lashed them at Kenji like a whip.

Being impossibly light footed, he managed to dodge one attack after another without breaking a sweat. "That all you got?!" Then he threw his knives from point blank range.

I cried out a string of profanities when his blades grazed my arms and cut my eyelid up to the brow, forcing me to withdraw.

"You're strong, Ayaka. But the strong always has a weak point, and there are those who know exactly how to exploit it." He hissed, slowly circling around me like a vulture hovering over a carcass. "Unfortunately for you, I'm one of them."

The clouds grumbled above us as the rain began to calm.

With my right eye barely opened, I started running out of ideas and elements to use.

Lightning struck the grasspatch below the stage, earning gasps and erratic cheers from the audience.

Wait.. that's it!

I looked up to the skies with one eye opened and saw the light that drew a line across the gray sky, followed by a deafening clap of thunder.

If I can just manipulate the electrical charges humming against the clouds, I might actually have a shot at winning this.

Kenji was quick to figure me out as he lunged with a brass knuckle in one hand and a dagger in the other.

I leaned back just in time when he swung his fist over my head.

The next thing that happened was a blur, I didn't even see him glide his blade up my face, bruising my other eyelid more severely than my right one.

"Shit!" I spat, pressing a hand on my bleeding eye.

"You're done!" He didn't give me any time to react as his brass weapon made contact with my face, the impact knocking the air out of my lungs as I was thrown onto the ground.

The people around us started shouting at the top of their lungs, but all I could hear was the lightning as it cracked another line above us.

Everything was moving slowly around me.

The crowd. The rain. Kenji.

Everything.

At this point, where my eyes are both half-lidded, my vision was as good as gone. But somehow, I could still see the light behind my eyes, bright and clear- and that's how I'm gonna win this.

As if on cue, lightning struck the edge of the stage, making the concrete tremble.

I forced myself back up on my feet and took in a deep breath, clenching my hands into fists.