forty two

"Still mad at me?" I took off my jacket before submerging my lower body into the warm water.

This feels so nice.

It was like every tense muscle in my body finally eased up and relaxed.

"Take a wild guess." Kirishima answered.

"Well I did everything you asked of me and went down to the police station to give a statement, so I'm going on a limb here and say no?"

He scoffed and turned to his shoulder. "You don't sound sure of yourself."

"Could you blame me?" I laughed halfheartedly. "You're not exactly easy to read these days."

Part of the reason why is because I never got to see him lately. It sucks because we used to hang out all the time, now we're too busy avoiding each other to get even a single word in.

"I'm not mad anymore. Well, maybe a little."

I sighed in relief and smiled. "Can I sit next to you?"

He moved a bit to leave some space for me and I went over with the Bacardi still in my hand. He eyed the drink and gave me a concerned look. "I didn't know you drink."

"Oh I do, just not often cuz I can never hold my liquor." I took another swig from the bottle then offered it to him. "Try it, it's so good!"

"So this is how you cope with a break up? By getting wasted?"

Way to ruin the mood, Kiri.

Here I was doing my best to distract myself and trying not to think about it but thanks for reminding me that Katsuki is out there banging some other chick.

I rolled my eyes at him and drank some more. "At least I'm not hooking up with some bimbo."

Kirishima clicked his tongue then swiped the bottle from my hand before I could even take another sip and placed it somewhere out of my reach. "That's enough."

"But-"

"Ayaka the bottom of that bottle won't fix whatever it is you're going through." He said. "Trust me. I've been there before."

I let that sink it for a moment. "Oh.."

A slight hint of red appeared on his face. I'm not sure if he was just flustered by the heat of the jacuzzi but it was there.

"I'm not proud of it, but yeah. It's been rough these past couple of months seeing you two together. And all I wanted to do was drink."

It never occured to me that I hurt him this much by being with Katsuki.

All this time I thought trying to put me behind bars was his way of getting back at me for the shit I put him through.

The guilt ate me up alive.

"For what it's worth, you gave me a hard time trying to stay out of jail-"

"That's not what I intended." He let out a heavy breath and dropped his shoulders. "I was trying to protect you."

I blinked up at him, my mouth agape in surprise.

"The murder cases were never mine to investigate in the first place." The purple led light reflected off his glistening skin as he ran a hand down his damp hair. "But that day, I overheard from the higher ups that people from a British Intelligence Service wanted jurisdiction over it since every detail seemed to match up with several cold cases in their records."

MI6.

Sons of bitches.

That organization is the reason why we had to leave UK. From what Altair told me, they were getting too close for his liking so we had to halt our operations and move to Japan.