twenty four

(you can skip Kenji vs Quincy if you like. I know how some of you think they're irrelevant, and its cool with me. Just skip to the bolded END)

~ Kenji's Point of View ~

As the crowd went wild all around me, I made my way up to the stage only to meet Quincy's bone-chilling glare.

"Quite the audience, huh?" I tried breaking the tense atmosphere between us by striking up a casual conversation. "Hey. Regardless of who wins, we're still siblings right?"

There was no response from her, and honestly, I can't say I didn't expect that.

"READY?!"

"Just so you know, the reason why I'm not upset about dad choosing other candidates is that I like a challenge. It shows how much someone deserves to be on top. So without you or Ayaka, taking up dad's name is just too easy." With my hands behind my back, I slid off eight rings from my fingers and morphed them into knives. "And I hate things easy."

"FIGHT!"

As if on cue, Quincy lashed her nylon strings in my direction.

On impulse, I launched all my blades at once. It was a risky shot from point blank range, but I still managed to counter her attack with ease.

She cursed under her breath, retracting her strings back in and lunged at me instead.

I didn't have the luxury of hesitation against a hive mind like her, and now that she's closing in fast, I can't afford to doubt my next move.

If she gets even one of those strings on me, I'm done for.

Don't think, just do.

I created a staff from a metal cuff on my wrist and blocked her strings before they could reach me. "B-Before I forget, what color's your dress for the Gala?"

Quincy's eyebrows creased from my question. "What?!"

"Oh you know, so I could match it with my suit since you're my date." I dug the end of my weapon into the ground then used it to propel myself in the air and get a solid kick to my opponent's back, sending her forward. "Cause if you're gonna have a pretty dress, I wanna look good too."

"You're unbelievable!" She was able to seize my staff with one of her sly nylons and throw it elsewhere.

I groaned, throwing my arms up in protest. "That's just great! You know metal doesn't fall out from trees- especially the ones I own! Those things cost half of what the Mo Company makes in a day!"

"Can it, rich kid!"

I swear I'm gonna go broke from losing a shit ton of alloy.

From her fingertips, the strings darted at me once again in an attempt to take control.

I whipped out two pistols just in time and shot down every single one of her nylons.

A grin reached up to my ears when one of my bullets pierced through her shoulder.

"Fuck!" She cried out. "You crazy son of a bitch!"

I changed the rounds in both guns in one swift motion, chucking palettes the fastest way possible. "Takes one to know one."

Quincy was a panting mess for a few seconds. It was painful to watch- I just wanted to end this right then and there.

I suddenly stumbled forward with felt short of breath for some reason.

"Don't think for a second that I'm gonna do this half-assed."

I looked down on the ground and saw a single nylon string embedded in my shoe. "Ah fuck."