twenty three

"And Quincy finishes it with a lethal blow! That's the Puppeteer for you, folks!"

Kenji and I leaned over the railings when we saw the situation down on the stage.

Quincy still had her opponent tied up with the nylon strings coming out of her fingertips even after throwing him out of bounds.

Puppeteer, huh? I thought she had an ice quirk or at least something similar.. unless she had someone under her control and made them do her bidding.

One thing's for sure, her methods are undeniably aligned with father's.

We watched as she retracted the strings and waved to the crowd.

"Quincy Romero advances to the next round!"

I crashed down on one of the many seats in our ghost town of a booth and started running strategies in my head. "So she's a control freak.. who could've guessed?"

"To be fair, father's idea of a successor always has that kind of power, including you and me." Kenji sat down beside me and folded his arm behind his head. "This should be interesting."

With a quirk like that, Quincy's practically unbeatable. The stage is an open space with nothing for me to work with and I can't put my only card on the table- not just yet.

Unfortunately for me, there's an even bigger threat than Quincy. And I'm sitting right next to him.

Judging by the match-ups, if Quincy advances from her next fight, there's a big chance that she and Kenji will see each other in the semis.

These two are forces to be reckon with in their own ways, and I'm just hoping to get through my first round in one piece.

A few minutes later Kenji was called up to head to the waiting room, leaving me with my thoughts.

I keep thinking back on what happened with Katsuki in the second year stadium and I can't seem to get him out of my head.

I shook the thought off and watched Kenji's first match, which was up against a girl with a demon-angel hybrid quirk- like literally, with the halo and wings.

My smug brother smirked once the announcer gave the signal and removed the metal ring from his finger just as his opponent lunged at him.

He stood his ground until the girl swung her fist at him. In a split second, he tilted his head to the side to evade and caught the girl's wrist, clamping it down with the chain he made then drove it into the ground- rendering her immobile.

When the girl started breathing fire to get herself out of that situation, Kenji straddled her and took off another ring from his finger. He said something under his breath before morphing the piece of metal into a bigger shackle then brought it down to his opponent's mouth to end the match.

"UNBELIEVABLE! FINISHING THE FIGHT UNDER A MINUTE- THAT'S GOTTA BE A NEW RECORD FOR KENJI MO!"

The audience roared in awe from his performance.

He left the stage unscathed with a proud grin on his face, mouthing a quick 'good luck' in my direction on the way.

"Paging Ayaka Blake, please stand by in the waiting room. Thank you."

Well, that's my cue.

~

A first match wasn't as easy as Kenji made it seem.

I struggled to keep up with a speedster type.

I recognized this prick as the son of the coffee shop owner who tried to hit on me.