twenty two

I don't get why Katsuki thinks acting like a spoiled child is gonna get me to do what he wants. I mean its kinda cute but I sure as hell don't need this right now.

"Now its time for the second round to begin!"

The loud roar of the crowd made me jump, and Kenji barging out of the waiting room at the same time wasn't any help for my poor little heart. "C'mon, its about to start!"

"Y-Yeah I heard it the first time." I pressed my phone to my ear and started running after my brother. "Katsuki I really can't right now but I'll meet you later, okay?" I didn't bother waiting for him to reply and hung up.

After this there's only one more event to worry about, and that's the one on one face off. If I'm lucky, I wouldn't have to see Quincy.

"Holy crap." I felt my heart sink to my feet as I counted off the people in the stands. "Is it just me or did more people came down to watch our stage?"

"Ah, seems like the latter if you ask me."

We all went to the center of the stadium and I couldn't help but notice the crates several staff were carrying.

Must be props for the next game.

"And now that we have the first 40 students who made it through the maze, we will now begin the second round of the festival!" Midnight-sensei grinned. "The next game is.. a Paintball Fight!"

A what?

"Now all of you will be divided into two groups of 20, and shortly after, you will be transported to the forest terrain where the second event will commence. But for the meantime," She kicked one of the large crates over and spilled its contents on the stage.

My eyes widened at the familiar models of firearms- heck, there's even an 'M' insignia on the side of each gun.

"Thanks to the generous donation of UA's most honored patron, Mr. Altair Mo- these will be your weapons in the said battlefield. Rest assured, these are harmless firearms that have been confirmed by our own design company to have little to no drawbacks." She kicked one up into the air and caught it with ease, pointing in over to the large screen behind her with the visuals. "The game is simple. We have two teams, red and white, with their leaders and members. There are only three ways to win this round- one, if the opposing team manages to steal the other's flag. Two, is to strike down the enemy's leader. And three, whichever team scores the most bandanas just before time runs out, wins!"

Fair enough.

Everyone started gearing up with camo suits and colored bandanas, which confused me a lot because I still didn't know which team I was in until Quincy threw a gun over to me.

"Careful, that thing's loaded." She stated like its my first time holding a gun. "I wouldn't have let you in my team but you and your brother are far too great of an ally to pass up."

Kenji scoffed. "Was that a compliment or am I hearing things?"

I shook my head and decided not to waste my breath arguing. "Let's just get this over with."

It took a few minutes of preparation before we arrived at the forest terrain. On the way, we were briefed about a few safety reminders and the most basic rule in the game which is, and I quote Midnight-sensei, 'if you're shot- you're out!'.

I ran my fingers across the tradename on the gun and sighed.

By the end of today, one of us will take up father's name and work, and it scares me just by thinking about it.

"Ayaka?"

My brother's voice jolted me out of my thoughts and back to reality.

"You feeling alright? You've been spacing out since the bus ride."