Chapter 5 - Oblivious ✔

- Monday, October 22nd, 2014 -

– Fifteen months ago –

"Finn, where were you?" I look at him with wide eyes. "I haven't seen you all weekend. And you missed the game!"

"Oh, right." He isn't looking up from the book he's reading. I had to go up to the second floor to find him seated in the library on his own after hours. He hasn't shown up at lunch, ignored my calls and texts.

"What's wrong? Did I do something wrong?"

"Huh?" Now he looks up, a little confused. "No, I was busy."

"Busy with what?" I pull away the book from under his gaze, not only to focus his attention on me, but also to look at the book. It's just some stupid fiction. "Readingthis?" I hold up the book in disbelieve. "Finn! You know how important the game was. Don't tell me you skipped for this?"

"I didn't." He deadpan. "I had different plans." He snatches back the book. "I'm sure the game went fine."

"We lost." I cross my arms in front of my chest.

"Oh, sorry to hear." He mutters, putting the book in his backpack.

"Why weren't you there? Why are you ignoring me? Or avoiding me overall?"

"Cristian. I have a life outside of you." He snaps. "I was busy."

"With what!? What was more important than your best friend?"

"You're really selfish, you know?" Finnley jumps up and brushes past me after putting his backpack on his back.

"I'm selfish? What did I do?"

"You're oblivious to your own behaviour." He spins around to look at me. "I'm not your slave. Why don't you ask one of your girlfriends to cheer for you?"

"I don't have a girlfriend..." I look at him confused. "And you're the only one I've been friends with for years. I like you to be there!"

"And I don't like it, okay? I don't like to watch. I hate it."

"Then why didn't you tell me? I thought you were fine with watching the game together with Emma."

"Well, I'm not." He shrugs. "Now you know. Please don't ask me to come anymore."

I watch in shock as Finnley walks away, wondering what the hell just happened. "Finn!?" I call after him, running after snapping out of my stupor. "What's wrong Finn?" I catch up on him on the stairs, grabbing hold of his arm.

"Nothing is." He pulls away from my hold.

"You're not you." I point out. "You've been acting weird for a month now. What's going on?"

"Nothing." He shrugs. "I'm just tired, okay?"

"Just tired?" I repeat after him, grabbing his bag to carry it for him. He lets me, much to my relief. At least he lets me help him. "Are you sure?"