Chapter 35 - Adapting

- Saturday, May 28th, 2016 -

– Day 1 –

"So, your name is Cris?" Jason saunters through the room, taking a seat on the mattress next to Finnley. "You're pretty boy's best friend, aren't you?" He pushes back some of Finnley's hair, watching him with worry in his eyes.

"I am, yes."

"What happened? Things got a bit messy yesterday evening. They came to pick up Finn and Alex and this is how they returned Finn after a couple of hours. Alex never came back. Did you do something to get Alex in trouble?"

I swallow back a lump forming in my throat, staring at a beat up Finnley with guilt rising inside me. Did they do this to him because of what happened to Mike?

"I don't even know Alex..."

"Did you beat up Mike?" Jason looks back at me again, while I'm still trying to stay awake, taking in Finnley from a distance. I hate the way Jason is seated next to him, his fingers gently tickling Finnley's neck, playing with his hair a little.

"I didn't, a friend did though." I notice it's getting increasingly difficult to pronounce words correctly.

"Nice." Jason smirks.

"You call that nice?" I gesture towards Finnley with an uncoordinated wave of my hand. "He got beaten up for it."

"Like they hurt you before because of pretty boy's big mouth and stubbornness." Jason chuckles. "I'm more worried over Alex."

I wish he would stop calling Finnley pretty boy.

"He called Moreno, perhaps?" I mutter, pulling a cover that is on the mattress over my body. It's pretty cold in here if you ask me.

"Yes, you do know him?"

"Told me he was in hospital..." I murmur, eyes closed and too weak to open them again. "Severe injuries..."

"Right, I suggest you get some sleep. We'll talk in the morning when you're not all drugged up." Jason got up from his mattress again. "But let's move you onto my bed to prevent Liam from freaking out..." He sounds amused again. "You don't want to steal Liam's bed." He pulls my arm, his voice already sounding distant. "Help me out a bit." He whines. "You can't be asleep like that already."

He sort of drags me and the mattress towards Finnley, motivating me to at least try to work with him, ending up on the mattress next to Finnley, staring at the large cut on his side, still with dried up blood at the edges.

"Finny..." I murmur.

"Yeah, better let him sleep..." Jason takes a seat in between us, taking away my view with his legs. "Sleep, now."

I try to fight the sleep a little while longer, wondering how it's possible Finnley didn't wake up because of all the noise.

"Sleep, I'll keep an eye on the both of you." Jason looks at me without showing any emotion, before focussing back on Finnley.