Chapter 10 - Finnley's secret life ✔

- Wednesday, February 10th, 2016 -

– 19 days after the disappearance –

"Don't judge me after the next thing I'm going to tell you." Stan lets me take a seat on the grass outside of school. He dragged my ass all the way here during lunch, telling me he had to share something with me. Emma is a little offended because Stan told her he didn't want her around.

"I won't judge." I hold up my hands as if in surrender. "I don't think you can do something that I don't expect from you."

"You make me sound like some kind of criminal that does all sorts of illegal stuff." He chuckles.

"Well, did you do something illegal?"

"Nah," he shrugs. "Depends on how you explain my actions."

"What did you do?"

"Well, Nathan goes to the gym a lot. James may have gone over there to borrow his phone." Stan holds up an IPhone. My eyes widen in shock.

"You stole his phone? And you found Nathan?"

"The guy was out of the country for some trip with school." Stan hands me the phone after he unlocked it. "Had a friend of mine helping me to hack the phone, but you have to read this."

"But you stole a freaking phone!" I want to shake him heavily. Does he not understand he could get into major trouble for this?

"I said James borrowed it. I'll have someone drop it at his house tonight." He doesn't seem too impressed over the fact he stole something, from a guy he claims to have short temper. "Stop whining, start reading."

I roll my eyes, but hey, since I have the phone right now anyway, I might as well read what he wants me to read.

It's a conversation between "Fuckboy Finn" and Nathan. It angers me seeing the nickname Nathan used for Finnley in his phone. So much for a relationship. The guy probably didn't care one single bit for Finnley and I wonder if he's even worried about his whereabouts.

Their contact started over a year ago and isn't that interesting. They text on and off with little words and mostly just dates, times and locations; probably meeting to exchange the Ritalin Nathan got him. After a while, the conversations seem to get friendlier, with short greetings and small chit chats. Nathan asking him if the stuff is helping him, Finnley telling him his grades are improving.

"Why do you want me to read all of this?" I look up towards Stan.

"I didn't assume you would read every word. Just scroll to about a year ago." Stan grabs the phone, scrolls down. "I didn't feel like looking for the right part of the conversation. Sue me, I'm lazy."

I chuckle when he hands me back the phone. The conversations are like regular conversations between friends.

Eventually, I come across a part where Finnley tells Nathan he can't afford to buy anymore. His parents discovered he's been withdrawing money frequently, asking him questions about it.