Chapter 20: if I didn't overreact

If I didn't overreacted so often,

Maybe then, people wouldn't avoid certain topics around me

------------------------------------------------------

I was happy to be able to get out of the house and escape the unspoken tension between me and Dan and get back to work Monday morning. While waiting outside for Zeke to pick me up, I got a text from an unknown number, the person on the other end of the the line asking me if I was okay. Confused, I texted the person asking who they were, to which they replied, 

unknown number: it's coop, stole your number from dans phone while he was in the bathroom

I looked up from the phone, eyebrows knit together, and glanced around me as if there was going to be somebody in my room ready to explain why he thought it'd be a good idea to do that. I quickly added the number into my phone under the name stranger before replying. 

Me: I'm good. and what made you think it was a good idea to steal my number from him?

stranger: my lack of conscious 

Me: makes sense 

I rolled my eyes, shaking my head even as though he could see the action. As soon as I slid the phone into my pocket again, another buzz obnoxiously sounded from the phone. I turned on the screen to see another message from Cooper. 

stranger: when are you gonna come back? we need you

Me: idk. I think I just need a week or two to myself, the band and work together just seem to be too much stress for me at the moment. 

stranger: well come back soon, we miss you

The screech of brakes pulled my attention from the phone up to the sight of Zeke pulling up in his truck. Another buzz came from the phone as he pulled to a stop. 

stranger: oh, and is it okay if i let dolan and kyle have your number, too? although idk if they'll pester you to come back or not

Me: sure, I guess, but I gtg 

Right as my thumb hovered over the send button, a honk came from the truck, making me jump out of my skin. I placed my hand over my thumping heart, holding back a laugh as I attempted to send him a dirty look, though likely failing. 

I moved a few scattered items from the passenger seat down onto the ground below me before welcoming myself to sit down. I clicked my seat belt into place, unconsciously scrunching my nose at the music on the radio. 

Zeke must have noticed my sour face. "What's the matter, babe?"

I shook my head, smiling in an attempt to make the words that came out of my mouth sound more polite. "Come on, you know I hate country music."

"I know, why do you think I put it on?" he leered. 

I covered my ears, cringing at the noise. "Ah! make it stop!" I laughed. 

He laughed at me a little before turning the radio to another station. "Ah, come on," he smiled over at me for a split second before turning his eyes to the road. "You know it's better than that hipster wannabe band you're in."