Chapter 35: when vulnerable doesn't seem weak

When vulnerable doesn't seem weak, 

Maybe then, I'll actually open up a bit

---------------------------------------------

After having to hear a bit more from the therapist, grandpa scheduling another appointment for next week, and an awkward ride home, I needed a bit of time out of the house, away from my family. I needed someone to talk to that wouldn't pester me with a million questions. So, naturally, I thought of Cooper. I messaged him real quick asking if I could come over.

stranger: sure. door is unlocked, don't make me pause my game

Me: okay

stranger: also, are you sneaking around again?

Me: no

stranger: ok

I made my way downstairs to uncle Jason, relieved that he was the one there to ask. He was the most lenient. "Unlce Jason?" I said sweetly.

His shoulders slumped. "Oh no, what are you wanting?"

"Could I go hang out with Cooper for a bit?"

He sighed, running a hand through his hair hesitantly. "I'm pretty sure that your aunt wants you home dinner."

"I'll be back by then," I assured him.

He let out another sigh before giving in. "Fine."

I gave him a grateful smile and ran off to retrieve my shoes. On my way to my room I bumped into Dan, who looked at me peculiarly as I threw on my shoes. "Where are you going?"

"Cooper's house. Why?"

"Make sure you took your birth control," he smirked. He bit back a laugh at his own joke.

"Shut up, you dick," I said as I brushed passed him in the doorway.

"Knowing that kid, he wouldn't have a condom with him," he further taunted.

I ignored him and carried on down to the front door, but not without hearing one last attempt at humoring himself.

"Protection first, Amelia!"

--------------------------------------------

I lifted my knuckle to knock on the door, but drew it back when I remembered what he said about it being unlocked. I opened it up and walked in, shutting it behind me with a slight feeling of discomfort. Even when you're told you don't have to knock, it still feels wrong to walk right in to a house that isn't your own.

"Cooper?" I called out, silently hoping that his mom wasn't home yet, or that if she was, Cooper had already notified her about me coming over.

I was greeted with silence. A couple seconds later, someone said hi, but it still wasn't Cooper. It was his cat, coming over and sweetly head-butting my leg. "Hey, Lilly!" I coo, giving her a quick scratch behind her ear. "Where's Cooper?" I ask her as though she were a person. She blinked at me slowly, just reminding me that even if she understood what I just said, she's a cat, therefore, she wouldn't be apt to give a shit.

I should write a book. I can even see its title on a shelf in the library; talking to cats: my descent into insanity.

I started down the stairs slowly, like I was getting ready for a jump scare in a horror movie or something. "Cooper?" I tried again, my eyebrows furrowed down so far that I was almost squinting. When I reached the bottom stair and turned, I saw Cooper sitting on the piano bench, leaning over the keys.