.: Twenty-Four :.

Connor's POV

Day Two.

I'm awoken by a knock at my bedroom door. I don't remember most of the previous night, or how I got in my bed. But I do remember everything that had happened regarding Larry and Cynthia. 

"Connor." I hear Zoe's voice. She's knocking frantically, almost, as if at any moment she'll just bust in. 

"What?" I ask, not meaning to sound as rude as I do. Zoe barges in, slamming the door. 

"What are you doing? Get your ass up! Evan's been calling all morning." 

"What-what time is it?" I ask, not looking at the clock beside my bed. 

"11:24, Connor." She turns her phone on for a split second. I practically jump out of bed and shoo Zoe out, as I have to get in presentable clothes. There's no way in hell that Evan and I are going to school for the rest of the day. Plus, if he's been calling, he's not doing so well if he's even at school, which I don't doubt. I get in better clothes, not really wanting to wear something long-sleeved, which comes as a surprise to probably everyone in existence. I walk out, Zoe eyeing me and handing me my phone, which she must have sneaked. I thank her silently and she puts on a 'you owe me' face. I step back into my room and call Evan. He answers after four rings. 

"Did you get your phone back?" Evan asks. 

"No, Zoe snuck it for me to call you." 

"Oh. What's-uh-what's up?" 

"I'm gonna pick you up. Go to the back of the school at lunch. I'll be there waiting." 

"I can't just-just skip school–which, might I mention, you're doing right now!" He semi-yells. 

"You can for your boyfriend." I plead. 

"Fine. I'll see you then. Lunch is in like, uh, half an hour." 

"I know when lunch is, dork." I chuckle. He giggles and hangs up. I slide out of my room. Zoe nods and hands me her keys. 

"Why're you home, anyway?" I ask, just now realizing.

"I wasn't putting up with people today." She responded. 

"Oh."

"Hey, uh, even though it'll probably be the most awkward thing ever, could I tag along?" She smiles convincingly. 

"Yeah, I guess." I shrug. Zoe follows me down the hall. Cynthia calls out to us weakly, telling us that Larry said that we were both grounded. 

"You're really believing that, that fucking monster?" I ask with an audible attitude. 

"Your father isn't a monster." Cynthia defends him, stepping closer.

"Really now? Because all those bruises are out of love." I point to her exposed arms. She immediately hides them. She doesn't make any eye contact from this point on. 

"Zoe and I are leaving and getting Evan. We won't be back for a while. Maybe then you'll realize our fucking douche of a father." I storm out. Slamming the driver door, I turn the ignition and wait impatiently for Zoe to click her seatbelt on. We turn on a couple streets, getting to the school and driving around back. Zoe and I sit in silence for about 10 minutes before Evan emerges, running to the car and getting in quickly. 

"Hey, we're allowed to go off campus for lunch. We're just not coming back." I remind Evan. This seems to relax him a bit. I reach back and grab his hand, using one hand to steer. 

"Where are we going?" 

"Right now, we're picking out food. We're going on a spontaneous road trip." I answer, eyes still on the road and staying there. Evan nods. I pull into a 7/11 parking lot and let everyone get out before locking the car.