| Chapter 8. |

"Anything else?" The static voice spoke back to Devin through the speaker as she searched through her wallet for some money.

"No, just the two sandwiches, please." She replied back, grabbing the $5 bill, along with the exact change.

"Mommy, get three!" Javon screamed from the backseat, as Devin twisted her head around and glanced at him.

"Three?" She repeated, Javon nodding his head in enthusiasm.

"Three?" The worker repeated, Devin shaking her head and throwing it out the window to get closer to the speaker.

"No, just two!" She answered, before the man told her the price of the food and she pulled off.

"Da..." Devin started to curse, before peering at Javon through her rearview mirror. She always had a potty mouth, but managed to control it when she was around her offspring.

She fixed her face up. "Dang, Javon. Baby, are you that hungry?" She laughed, as Javon shook his head.

"No, mommy! The third sandwich was going to be for Brielle." He responded, staring out the window as Devin narrowed her brown eyes.

"For Brielle? Did you even ask her to be your girlfriend yet?" Devin questioned her son.

"Nope." Javon replied, popping the p. Devin pulled up to the window to retrieve the food, shaking her head. She reached inside the bag, passing Javon his breakfast sandwich and apple juice. 

"So, why are you trying to make me buy that little girl some McDonald's?" Devin furrowed her eyebrows, as Javon shrugged his shoulders.

He pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose, before biting into his breakfast. "I don't know, I thought girls liked food. Because you eat a lot, mom."

Devin almost choked on her food, before twisting her head around to cut her eyes at Javon. But he was too cute for her to keep the straight face.

"I don't eat a lot, Javon." She mumbled, hitting the gas petal as she kept one hand on the steering wheel. Yeah, she was going to drive and tear down this sandwich at the same time. 

"Okay, mommy." Javon chuckled, sipping his juice. "Whatever you say."

She shook her head at her crazy kid, as she managed to get to his elementary school in 20 minutes. Watching as he ate the rest of his sandwich, she grabbed his trash, and tossed it back into the McDonald's bag to make one big bag of garbage.

"Bye, mommy." Javon squealed, as he leaned into the front seat and let Devin kiss him on the cheek softly.

"Bye, Javon. Have a great day at school, okay? I'll see you later." She said goodbye, watching as he exited the car and walked into his school. She drove to work after that, arriving 10 minutes before the bank even opened. She slowly made her way inside, stopping in the break room, to prepare herself a cup of hot cocoa.

"Good morning, Miss Rodriguez." This time, it was her boss, Mr. Mitchell, greeting her as she poured the water into the company mug.

"Good morning, Mr. Mitchell." She responded, in her fake cheery voice, focusing on stirring in her bit of milk and sugar.

"Ms. Rodriguez, I wanted to ask you-" Right on cue, her cell phone interrupted him in the middle of his sentence. She silently thanked God, before raising a finger to tell him to wait. She was early so there wasn't much he could say. Plus, she knew that he was going to ask her to work overtime, and she was glad that she didn't have to be rude (in this case) and tell him no. She already had plans to take Javon out shopping this weekend, to purchase him some more school clothes, along with a few outfits for herself. She pulled out her iPhone, sighing in relief once she saw that it was Cami calling her. That girl could talk about absolutely nothing for forever and definitely keep her "busy" until 7am.