| Chapter 29. |

Devin sucked in a deep and nervous breath, feeling Jazz's eyes roaming her nearly exposed body. She finally pieced her thoughts together, holding her robe closed with her right hand.

"What's wrong, Devs?" Jazz chuckled, leaning against the door frame. "You looking like you just seen a ghost."

"I would rather seeing a ghost than you. What are you doing here, Jazz?" Devin hissed, still not believing that he was the man standing in front of her.

"I missed you, girl. Where's my little man?" Jazz answered, helping himself into her apartment. She caught wind of the stench of alcohol, scrunching her nose up at him as she sighed. She closed the door behind him, turning to face him.

"You haven't seen your son in six years, so why are you worried about where he is now?" She questioned, managing to cross her arms across her chest as she kept the robe shut.

"I see you're still holding grudges, Devin." Jazz scoffed, as Devin's jaw dropped.

"How the hell is it holding it a grudge when you left your son before his first words? His first steps?" She bombarded with more questions, as Jazz raised a hand to cease her talking.

"Devin, stop," He started, shaking his head. "That was the past. You're looking at the new Jazz Lewis now." His tongue ran across the bottom of his lip as he looked Devin up and down.

Devin rolled her eyes in disgust. "Yeah okay. And no one is holding a grudge towards you. My son and I are fine."

"Prove it," Devin stared at him, skeptical if she should actually believe him. "Let me take you out to lunch."

"Let you what?" 

"See, I knew it. Still the same old Devs." The sound of his words triggered something in her. She was insulted. But instead of doing what told Devin would, she decided something else. 

"Fine. Have a seat, let me change first." She finally answered. After all, he was still Javon's father and he had every right to come and see his son, right? Maybe he did change. 

"Alright." She heard Jazz reply, as she turned her back towards him.

She walked back into her room, closing and locking the door- something she usually didn't have to worry about doing. She threw her robe down on her bed, going to her closet and tossing on a pair of old ripped up jeans, a T-shirt, a old varsity sweatshirt, and finished it off with her old converse sneakers. She left the bedroom, taking notice of Jazz staring at the pictures that covered her walls. They were all mostly of her and Javon, some of Cami and Brian, but she didn't say anything.

"Wow, he's so big now." Jazz's voice was in shock, as Devin frowned at him.

"Well, you know they don't tend to stay a newborn for forever." Devin mumbled.

She heard Jazz kiss his teeth. "You're blowing this out of proportion, Devs. I wasn't even gone that long."

"What do you call six years, Jazz?" She spoke again, getting stressed with the man that stood in front of her. How they were ever in a relationship, she couldn't tell you. 

"I've only been gone five."

She looked to him with a raised eyebrow. "You are aware that he just turned 7, right?"

"Can we go, please?" He responded rudely. Devin sighed, grabbing her keys off the keychain and leading the way out of her apartment. She didn't even bother asking Jazz if he had a car now because she already knew the answer. Unfortunately, Jazz did fit the poor stereotype of black men and not only didn't take care of his son, but still lived off his mother as well. She just hoped he could stick around and make a different impression this time. 

She climbed into her car, the Childish Gambino playlist that Cameron had made her playing throughout the speakers. She quickly turned her bluetooth off  before she could find herself in a pool of tears. She sighed, clicking her seatbelt as Jazz started playing with her radio. That instantly made her mad. Not only had he not seen her in five years but he had the nerve to be touching things that belonged to her?

"Oh, these hoes ain't loyal!" Jazz shouted, as Devin frowned. She absolutely hated songs that talked about nonsense, no matter how catchy it was. And by the way Jazz was singing- he agreed with the disrespectful lyrics as much as Lil Wayne did.

She turned the radio down with the button on her steering wheel. "Uh, where am I going?"

Jazz kicked his feet up on her dashboard. "Down the street to McDonald's, where else?"

Devin scoffed, shaking her head side to side. She reluctantly turned her left signal on, driving down the street to the local McDonald's. Once they arrived, Jazz hopped out the car and walked into the fast food restaurant without even waiting for Devin. With a annoyed expression, she climbed out of the car and into the store behind him.

"What you want?" Jazz asked, as Devin squinted her eyes to look at the menu above the desk.

"Uh... Can I have a Bacon Clubhouse and some..."

Jazz stopped her, with his harsh laugh. "Woah, Devs. Off the dollar menu. If you want something more than $1.50, you must be paying for your own lunch."

Devin twisted her face up at him in disgust. "Fine, I'll buy my own shit."

Jazz shrugged his shoulders, ordering himself two 6 piece nuggets, fries and a sprite. Paying no more than $5 for his whole meal.

Devin soon got her meal afterwards too, getting the Bacon Clubhouse, nuggets, and a oreo mcflurry. Paying $5 more than Jazz did. She sat down at one of the tables with Jazz, watching as he scarfed down the fast food. She unwrapped her burger, trying to figure out how to start their conversation. She stared at him, noticing that nothing had changed about Jazz. He still had the same caramel colored skin tone, striking hazel eyes and that cute ass dimple on the side of his face. But although, he was still cute, Devin wasn't going to fall for his looks and charm as quick as she did in high school.

"So, are you not going to ask how Javon and I are doing?" Devin finally spoke, as Jazz dipped his nugget in the barbecue sauce.

"Uh... y'all living, ain't you?" Jazz replied, as Devin kissed her teeth.

"You're such an ass, Jazz. You have nothing to say or ask about your son? Your first born?" She scoffed.

"Chill. He's my only born." Jazz remarked.

"Oh, congratulations on not taking care of your only child in this world." She hissed.

"Devs, what the fuck do you want me to say? Obviously I came back because I want to be with you and my son. What else is there?"

"I don't know, Jazz. You tell me." Devin snapped.

"You're paranoid. Damn, it's girls like you that prevent guys like me from taking care of ours." Jazz laughed, sipping his coke.

"What? I prevented you from seeing your son this whole time? Six years? Jazz, you left!" She retorted back.

Jazz rolled his eyes. "Yo, I don't even feel like arguing with you right now. Can you take me back to your place so I can see my son?"

Devin shook her head side to side, standing up to throw away her garbage. This was surely going to be a long day...