| Chapter 26. |

"Mommy, hurry up! I'm not getting any younger!" Javon shouted, repeating something he heard on television before. He watched Devin from the doorway of her bedroom, a giant pout on his face.

"Javon, don't be impatient baby. We have to wait for someone." Devin replied, putting all the things that she wanted to bring with her inside of her purse.

"Who, mommy? Auntie Cami? Uncle Brian?" Javon questioned, bombarding his mother with questions. Devin looked at him, the doorbell ringing being the thing to save Devin out of a response.

"Javon, get that. Mommy has to grab a few more things." Devin spoke, as Javon darted towards the front door.

"You sure mommy?" He knew better than to just open the door without permission, but Devin lived in a wonderful building and knew there was no danger. Plus, she already knew who it was.

Javon waited for his mother's nod, then ran to twist the doorknob (with both hands) and pulled the large door opened. He tilted his head upwards, looking at the taller gentleman that stood in front of him. Cameron gulped, scared of out his mind at the sight of the little boy.

"Who are you?" Javon finally broke the awkwardness, as he eyed Cameron up and down.

"Uh, I'm your mommy's friend, Cameron. You're Javon, right?" Cameron mustered up, extending a hand out towards Javon.

"Your name is Cameron? You're not a friend, you're her boyfriend." Javon reluctantly shook Cameron's much larger hand.

"What are you doing here? It's my birthday so mommy is spending it with me." Javon spoke, shocking Cameron with his tone.

Thankfully, Devin ran out from the back before Cameron could embarrass himself anymore in front of the little boy.

"Javon, baby," Devin sighed, rubbing Javon's shoulders from behind. "Cameron is coming with us today, if that's okay with you?"

Javon shrugged his shoulders as he pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose. "Fine, I guess. Can we go now?"

Devin gave him a small smile. "We sure can. Come on."

Javon pulled open the door again, dashing down the hallway towards the elevators at the end of the hall. Devin laughed, closing the door behind them as she grabbed Cameron's hand and squeezed it.

"Hey, I'm sorry. He's just really excited, but trust me- he'll warm up." She said, giving him a kiss on the cheek.

"Are you sure? It seemed like he hated me already." Cameron exhaled, making their way down the hallway after Javon.

"Not even. Javon's got the biggest heart that I've ever seen. He just wants to see where he's going for his birthday," Devin answered, finally stepping in front of the elevator. "I didn't give any hints."

Cameron sighed again, hoping Javon was impressed with where they were going. Devin gave him the wonderful task of location and he couldn't be more nervous. Hopping on the elevator with the two, Javon stood off in the corner, staring at the flashing lights and buttons in awe like he always did. Devin nudged Cameron, gesturing towards Javon as Cameron slowly cleared his throat and walked over to the boy.

"So, Javon. How old are you today?" Cameron questioned, trying to make simple conversation with Javon.

Javon turned around, staring at him through his glasses. "I'm 7."

"7? That's a big number." Cameron whistled, as Javon nodded his head.

"Yeah, I'm a real big boy now." Javon replied.