| Chapter 17. |

"Mommy!" Javon screamed in Devin's face, causing her to roll over in her bed and crack a eye open.

"Javon, why are you screaming? What's wrong?" Devin replied quickly, reaching under her bed for the bat she kept in case of an emergency.

"Nothing's wrong, mommy. I had a scary dream. Can I lay with you?" Javon whimpered, wiping the stray tears on his face.

Devin lifted the blankets in her bed, patting the spot next to her. "Of course, baby. Hop in."

Javon climbed into the bed next to her, snuggling close to his mother. Devin wrapped a arm around his small frame, kissing his forehead multiple times.

"You're safe now, baby. Go back to bed." She whispered, looking at the clock on her nightstand. She was off this morning, but she had to get up in a hour or so to take Javon to school.

"Just go back to sleep, you have school in a little bit." She yawned, running her hands through Javon's curls.

"Do I have to go to school, mom? Can I just stay home with you?" Javon questioned, as Devin looked down at him.

"You want to stay home with me, baby?" She repeated, watching Javon nod his head enthusiastically.

"Please, mommy?" Javon begged, as Devin wrapped her arms around him tighter.

"Yeah, baby. Whatever you want. We can sleep in late too." She replied, Javon cracking a small smile.

"Yay!" He clapped, before closing his eyes and drifting back off to sleep. Devin smiled, preparing to close her own eyes when something suddenly began buzzing on her bed. She reached behind her pillow, grabbing her iPhone.

Cami- Hey, just got your text from last night. You up?

Devin- Yeah, but I'll tell you what I gotta tell you later. I'm going back to sleep.

Cami- Back to sleep? Shouldn't you be getting Javon ready?

Devin- He wanted to stay home with me today and mommy is allowing it. (:

Cami- Aww, better than my mom was! I'll talk to you later.

Devin closed the messaging app, and scooted back over to Javon. She brought him closer to her, closing her eyes and getting some much needed sleep.

-

3 hours later, it was 9 am. When Devin woke up, she wasn't shocked that Javon wasn't in bed. He was always up early, so she didn't think much of it.

She stretched and yawned, pulling the blankets back and climbing out of bed. She made a stop in the bathroom, before going to check on Javon in the living room.

He sat on the couch cross-legged, watching reruns of spongebob. He was munching on some cereal out of the bowl, making a mess all over Devin's couch.

"Javon. What are you doing?" Devin sighed, as Javon shrugged his shoulders.

"You were sleeping, so I got my own cereal like a big boy, mommy." He replied, showing Devin the bowl of frosted flakes.

"And where's your milk, big boy?" Devin crossed her arms over her chest, as Javon gave her a innocent smile.

"I spilled it in the kitchen, so I went without." Javon answered.

"Nuh uh, go clean up your mess, big boy." She ran a hand through her hair, staring at him. He groaned, following his mother as she turned on her heels, walking into the kitchen. The milk was spilled all over the counter and floor, but not too big of a mess. She grabbed the paper towels and handed it to him, watching as he began cleaning up the spill.