This is what it takes - Part 4

Imagine:
I leave Y/n sleeping in her bed and go down to have breakfast with the others. They all look up as I enter.

"Mendes, you'll be out of activities to look after Y/n since she still needs time to recover. I'll leave some stuff behind okay?"

I nod and try not to laugh as the others moan. "Sure Mr Williams."

I eat my breakfast slowly as they all drag themselves outside into the cold. I have a look inside the pack that Mr Williams gave me and it's a load of crap.

I hear the staircase creak and look up to see Y/n awake. I smile. "You're alive."

"Shawwn," she groans. "Is there anything good for breakfast?"

"Not sure if cold cereal is what you want..."

"Never mind," she mumbles and shuffles back upstairs.

I clear my things away and decide to make hot chocolate for Y/n, and I find a packet of glucose biscuits. I place them on the table by the fire and walk up to our room. I find Y/n lying on her bed, surrounded by the many quilts and covers I could find yesterday.

"I've made you hot chocolate if you wanna come down," I tell her.

She turns to face me and smiles. "That's sweet of you."

I wait downstairs whilst Y/n changes clothes and then she sits down beside me, a thin fleece blanket wrapped around her. She takes the mug of hot chocolate between her hands and sips the drink slowly.

"Are you feeling better today?"

She shrugs, pulling the fleece around her tighter. "I don't know. I feel like I've still got coldness inside me?" She laughs. "This is gonna sound weird, but I seriously feel like I have an ice-cold heart."

I watch her eat the biscuits slowly and her face brightens up a little after some food.

"Mr Williams left us some of those activities to do," I say.

Y/n gives me a weird look.

"We don't have to do them," I say quickly before she thinks I like all his lame efforts.   

"No, it's fine. Something to do right? But we can change things up a little..." I watch her face turn mischievous as an impish grin appears.

   "Why on earth did I agree to this?" I exclaim as Y/n blindfolds me. She pulls the bandana tightly into a knot.

I hear Y/n's beautiful laugh. "Come on, it'll be fun. Besides, confidence building remember?"

She spins me around a few times and places her hands on my shoulders. "Are you ready?" she whispers into my ear, sending chills down my spine. I nod my head.

Y/n guides me through a rough obstacle of chairs and boxes until I reach the end. We swap places and try again. My heart starts to race from all the shouting, and Y/n's cheeks are a little flushed and she looks happier too.

"Okay, so what's next?"

I look inside the pack and read an activity out. "Lava flow. Team members must find a way to cross the lava flow with equipment-"

Y/n pounces on me and squeals. "That's basically the floor is lava right? Please can we play the floor is lava?"

She jumps off me and starts pulling cushions from the couch. I laugh and shake my head. "Y/n, is that really you? You seem to be a completely different person now."

She stops what she's doing and blushes. "Oops, you're right, god I'm so stupid."

I reach for her arm. "Hey, don't say that." I notice that the smile is gone from her face. "Y/n, is there... is there something happening at school? It's just you don't seem-"

"Happy anymore?" She laughs. "Thanks for noticing Shawn, no one else has."

She sits down infront of the fireplace. I follow her and sit next to her. "I don't know Shawn. I'm always just stressing about exams and stuff you know? In a way, I'm glad the social worker chose me to do this. It's the only weekend I've had to myself where I'm not studying." She unexpectedly leans her head on my shoulder, so I place an arm around her.

"Well I'm here if you need anyone," I say. I cringe. God, that was pathetic.

She smiles up at me. "Aha, it's nothing Shawn, but thank you."