Chapter 26

~~~~~~~~~~~Beginning Of Part 2~~~~~~~~~~~

"Wait, Yurio, you haven't had a turn yet!" Yuri observed. After the competition, Yurio, Yuuko, Otabek, Phichit, and Mila had all come to the clinic, which brought the total number of people in the room from 6 to 11, making Viktor feel rather grateful that his family was in a larger room. He was sitting in bed next to Yuri, unable to take his eyes off of Masha, who was in Yuri's arms.
She was alert and awake, but for the most part, wasn't too fussy. Her eyes were open wide and seem to be constantly moving around the room, trying to take in everything at once. Viktor wasn't sure how anyone could claim that their baby was the best, they had clearly never met Masha. She wasn't swaddled in the hot pink blanket, the nurses had given Viktor and Yuri the green light to change her into one of the outfits they had bought all those months before. She currently was wearing her pink kitten ensemble, minus the headband. The nurse had not given the green light for that yet.

"I don't want a turn," Yurio stated in Russian, then repeated the phrase in English so everyone else could understand. Viktor had specifically asked him to speak in Russian when Masha was in the room, so she would be able to learn it.

"Of course you do! Everyone like holding babies!" Phichit exclaimed. He had held Maira for 10 minutes and 18 seconds. Viktor was keeping track.

"I don't," Yurio confirmed, crossing his arms. He wasn't all that into babies, after all, they didn't do much.

"Come on, have you ever actually held one before?" Mila questioned. She had held Maira for a good 7 minutes and 43 seconds.

"No, and I don't want to!" Yurio maintained.

"Trust me, you'll love it!" Viktor encouraged.

"It's actually pretty cool. Even I did it, Yuri." Otabek added. He had only held Masha for 4 minutes and 27 seconds.

"Hamilton would do it." Yuuko, who had held Masha for 8 minutes and 27 seconds, convinced.

"Fine." Yurio accepted, only because he knew nobody would leave him alone until he sucked it up and held Masha.

"I knew you would come around! Now sit down, Yuri, where's that pillow we were using earlier when we were feeding her?" Viktor instructed

"I think it rolled underneath the bed." Yuri speculated, looking around for it.

'I got it!" Phichit called, grabbing a bean shaped white pillow and handing it to Yuuko. When yurio beguilingly sat, she placed it in his lap.

"What the heck is this for? And why do I have to sit down, nobody else did?" yurio questioned.

"Just safety precautions." Viktor. He took Masha, beautiful Masha, and placed her in Yurio's arms. "Make sure to support her head!" He reminded. Yuuko took out her phone and started recording.

Yuri felt the most awkward and fidgety he ever had. His arms felt like they were being squished, but he was too nervous to move them, not wanting to mess her up. Masha looked straight up at him, yawned, and closed her eyes.

"Viktor, what is she doing? Is she supposed to be doing that? Did I break it!?" Yurio packed.

"Awww, you put her to sleep!" Yuri's mom observed. She had held Masha for 15 minutes and 29 seconds. Mari was the only one who actually got a chance to hold Mahsa before Viktor came. In fact, at Yuri's request, she had been in the OR with Yuri, so she was the second person ever to hold Masha.

"No, but seriously, is that supposed to happen?" Yurio clarified.

"Yuri, calm down. It's a useful skill. Make sure to remember that you two!" Mila teased.

And as perplexed and panicked and nervous and fidgety as Yurio was, he was unable to take his eyes off of her. He suddenly remembered one of the conversations he had had with Etsuko when she taught him the Japnese word for uncle, 叔父さん/おじさん/Ojisan. She had described an Uncle as "Your mommy or daddies brother who does really cool stuff." And It dawned on Yurio that as a person, Maira was a blank slate and whether for better or worse, he was going to help shape who she would become. Would he be like his Biological mother, and let his own anger and suffering project onto her, making her emotionally distant and fearful? Or would he be like Grandpa, Okaasan, Otousan, and everyone else he met, and be guided by some unknown force to help rise Masha up, helping her be the best she could be? And at that moment, Yurio made a silent promise to himself, that he would try his very hardest to be the best Uncle this world had ever seen.

"Yurio, are you ok?" Otabek asked.

""Huh?"

"You were in some kind of a trance." Otabek pointed out.

"Yeah, I'm fine, just thinking," Yuri responded, and after 5 minutes and 37 seconds Viktor tried to take Masha. "HEY! I wasn't done!"

Mila, Mari, and Phichit tired to hold in laughter but failed.

"And you said you didn't want a turn!" Mari laughed.

"That was before, right now, I want a longer turn." Yurio defended.

"What ever you say, дядя!" Mila teased, trying to insult Yurio, but it didn't work in the Sligist. After all, it was true.

"Wait, you guys are laughing at Yurio? I was laughing at Masha's sudden intake of Yurio's personality! Look at her right hand!" Phichit pointed out.

Everyone looked, and Masha's right hand had somehow, without anyone noticing, Masha was placed against Yurio's arm with the middle finger sticking out. At that, the entire room erupted into tears of laughter, and the deafening roar was enough to wake up Masha and call a nurse into the room, to check and see if everything was ok. But when Phichit showed her the glorious picture that he had taken, which had Yurio giving a completely out of character look of love to his niece, and Masha with her middle finger out, the Nurse also burst out laughing. Later that night, Phichit posted it, and it went more viral than all of the official pictures Yuri and Viktor posted combined.