Chapter 40

8:29pm (20:29)
St.Petersburg Official Hotel
December 7th, 2023

Maira had slept the entire plane ride to Shanghai, and even some on the plane to Almaty, but she still felt tired. Papa had called it Jet-Lag, and it seemed to be effect Maira most. Uncle Hamilton and Auntie Yuuko seemed completely unfazed, probably because they were always flying to other competitions. Papa and Daddy seemed to be pretty awake too, but Maira suspected that Papa was so energetic because they were in St.Petersburg. Apparently, this was the first time he and Daddy had been to Russia since they had gotten married. They had met up with Uncle Otabear and his coach in Almaty as planned, but to Maira's confusion and disappointment, they didn't kiss or hold hands or even or hug or do ANYTHING that would other people know they were together. In fact, Daddy and Papa hadn't even held hands since they had all landed in St.Petersburg, despite the fact they ALWAYS held hands at home. But the strangeness of the situation was pushed to the back of Maria's mind when someone opened the door to the hotel.

The lobby of the official Hotel was most definitely the biggest, fanciest, and most exciting room Maria had ever been in. The white ceiling seemed to be as high up as the sky and was covered in beautiful murals that depicted things that Maira could not exactly make out.  The floors were a slick, birch hardwood, but had an intracity embroiled bure carpet that went from the double doors to the front desk, which was made out of a very pretty mahogany. The walls were a beautiful royal red, with breathtaking fancy white windows that had red cushioned seats on them, along with pillows with the Hotel's logo.

Speaking of the outside, Maria was very glad to be INSIDE. Now, Daddy and Papa and Uncle Hamilton had all told her that Russia was much much much much colder than Japan, and it was that Maria did not believe them, but nothing could have prepared her for THAT level of cold. Speaking of barely surviving, The second hey had landed in St.Petersburg, Uncle Hamilton had nearly been eaten alive the biggest crowd of rabid girls in cat ears Maira had ever seen. A slightly smaller crowd of people had tried to devour Papa and Daddy, asking questions, wanting autographs, and taking pictures.  A crowd had even approached HER, but Papa had picked her up and saved her from the swarm once a strange man tried to get right up in her face and take a picture, but Papa picked her up before anything else could happen. Papa called them Paparazzi and explained to her that they didn't mean to make her upset, they were just very excited to see her. Although when Papa put her down, Daddy told her that they probably weren't going to go away, if the paparazzi ever made her feel uncomfortable again to just let them know.

When Papa finished checking them all in, they left the lobby and to a pretty Elevator. It was too small to hold all 7 of them, plus their luggage, so Uncle Hamilton, Auntie Yuuko, Uncle Otabear, and his coach went in first. And when the next elevator opened, Maria did a happy dance, because inside was Uncle Phichit!!!

"YURI!!!" Phichit squealed, running to give Daddy a hug. "It's been WAAYYY TO LONG!!!"

"Yea." Daddy giggled, hugging back. "It much better seeing you in person than on Facetime." Every Saturday, Daddy, and Papa facetimed a different one of their skater friends. Maria had always been given the option to join them and didn't usually take them up on the offer. But ever since she had found out she was going to St.Petersburg, she had been on every single call. So far, she had FaceTimed with Uncle Phichit, Uncle Chris and his Husband Uncle, Uncle Guang-Hong, and  Aunties Sara and Mila.

"Hello, Phichit! How have you been?" Papa greeted, and Uncle Phichit broke his hug with Daddy in favor of one with Papa.

"Great! I'm sososososoSO excited to see you all again!! The last time I think we all were actually together in the same room was -" Uncle Phichit started, before breaking his hug with Papa and kneeling down in front of Maria, and giving her a hug of her own.