Chapter 6

Uchiyama was standing under a neon sign, in front of an apartment. It was darker that night, the light on the corner of the street was darker than usual. He was waiting for Noda. He told Uchi that he managed to get Sawada's contact.
"Ah, that guy... I wonder what had happened to him,"
He couldn't stop thinking about what Noda had told him. It made his head linger, he's so curious about what's going on.
Noda told him that he heard, Sawada was in town. Been years since the last time Uchiyama saw him.
"I'm off to Africa, you take care yourself okay,"
That was the last text message he got from Shin. They always called him on the first name since they are buddies. No other news after that, months, years, just past without any sign of him.
"He's here," a voice startled him.
"Are you sure?" Replied Uchiyama. He took a deep breath.
"What happened to that guy, Noda? Uchi asked curiously. Noda didn't answer.
"I got his number from his sister's best friend, tried to call, more than three times. At first he answered it, but then..."
"Are you sure it's him?" Uchiyama cut Noda's words impatiently.
"Yeah, I'm sure! It was his voice but then he hung up! Plus, Kuma's customer saw him once, walking down the subway." Noda widened his eyes as if he wanted Uchi to believe him.
"Then, let's find out." Said Uchi.
They walked to the parked car near the children park.
Uchi drove the car, and Noda jumped in next to him.
The first place they tried to search for information is Sawada's parents' house.
The house was still the same, only now it looked much gloomier. As if it hadn't been painted for ages. A woman in mid fifty opened the door. She was smiling. She knew well who came by. She still recognized the guys.
"He doesn't live here anymore, we haven't seen him either," said Sawada's mom. Her face looked sad. This woman she met in high school looks so much older, her wrinkled eyes showed a deep hidden sorrow.
"He always blamed himself, it wasn't his fault," she continued. Her voice was trembling.
"Eeehhh?? Blame himself? For what?" Uchiyama asked curiously.
"Aahh, you didn't know. And I thought you knew," said Noda. He slapped his own forehead, feeling guilty and stupid at once.
"Well then. We'll be back, it's late now..." Noda tried to change the subject by leaving.
In the car, Noda sat silently.
"What's this all about?" Asked Uchiyama, broke the silence.
Uchi stopped the car. He opened the window and took out a box of cigarette from his pocket, lit one and faced his eyes to Uchi.
"His sister. She died. It was a suicide,"
"Eeehhh??! Natsumi??! Why??!..." Uchiyama widened his eyes. He couldn't believe what Noda told him.
"Depression, I'm not sure what had happened." he continued smoking his cigarette, then he put off the rest of it and threw it in a dust bin under the dashboard.
"That time he was still in Africa. Poor Mrs. Sawada now she's living alone,"
"Mr. Sawada?? What about him?" Uchiyama continued asking curiously.
"You were out of town for so long. You missed so many things. Didn't you?" Noda replied smirking.
"He had a heart attack, and couldn't survived."
"Aahh. That's so sad..."
"Let's contact the rest of the boys, hope we can get some ideas how to reach Shin." Said Uchiyama. There was a hope in his words. Hope that they can be together again as buddies, all five of them.