Chapter 16

Every time he remembered that moment, he couldn't stop from blaming himself. He would sulk and drowned in his own bedroom. All the things he did seemed like a waste. He blamed himself even for going to Africa. He blamed himself for not having enough time for his family. He even blamed himself not to accompany his dad on his last moment. Even though his dad had a sudden death from a heart attack.

Sawada grabbed a wine glass in a kitchen counter, he poured some wine left from last dinner with his clients. It was an appreciation gift he got when he won a murder case.
He walked lazily to the sofa. His living room was so spacious. There was a simple antique fireplace in front is the couch he sat on, all the air in the room was so masculine. The black leather couch, the grey sofas, the cushions, the windows' panel and all. The carpet under the coffee table on the center was thick and comfortable. The lamps were set dim and cozy.

Suddenly there was a bell sound. He was a bit surprised for he'd never had a visitor before. He rose from his seat lazily, press the camera button and turn it on.
He was stunned. A figure of a lady he knew so well were standing and looking around, as if she was not confident to the place she got into wasn't the one she supposed to go to.
"Yankumi…" Sawada widened his eyes, he couldn't believe who he just saw.
He quickly pushed one of the buttons under the surveillance monitor. There was a sound of soft click. He went to the hall and slowly opened the door.
"Hi, ah I'm so glad I didn't push a wrong door bell!" Yankumi's shout surprised Sawada. Then realized that she had made a loud noise she covered her mouth and gasped.
"Ah, gome! I spoke too loud…" now she whispered.
"How do you know I…"
"Can I come in??" Yankumi suddenly asked before Sawada was even trying to finish his sentence.
"Douzo," he spread his right hand and Yankumi quicky got in. She was quite fast.
Sawada grinned a little. This was like a dejavu. Yankumi has always got a special place in Sawada's heart. Even if he hasn't met her for a very long time.
Yankumi walked around the room. Sawada watched her from behind. She went from the front door to the desk,  touched the windowsill with her point finger. She moved a little to the center and turn around.
"Wow! You got a very nice apartment," she said excitedly. Her eyes wandered to the pictures on the top of the fireplace.
"How do you know my place?" Sawada asked. He knew so well it's rude to ask that way,  but that sawada is. A frank and honest Sawada,  never changed.
"I asked Kuma..."

"Kuma huh..." Sawada mumbling, he put his glass back to the kitchen counter.

"I met Minami and Uchi recently," said Yankumi trying to break the silence. Her voice was a bit trembling, her hand was a bit shaking. She tried to hide her nervousness in front of Sawada.

"Gosh! What's wrong with me?!" She scolded herself silently. It was only her former student. As she talked she glanced at Sawada deeply. She was pinching her eyes and looked in deeper. "This boy has grown to a very handsome man," she thought.

"Where did you see them?" A sudden question from Sawada stunned her.

"Uh, ah... They came to me, they talked about you..." She was a bit shocked to her own words.

"Baka!" She thought. Yet, she continued.

"It's been a long time ne, Yankumi.." He talked louder so Yankumi could hear him clearly. But then he rolled his eyes. It seems he didn't even listed to the last words she said.

"Huh? Ah yeah... Well... How have you been? How's life?? Hehe..."

Sawada grinned, Yankumi never changed, he though. He walked closer to her who kept standing near to the window. He walked closer and closer. The dimmed light from the front lamp showing a bit of his face.

"I've got my own life, Yankumi, My world is no longer fit to those guys. We're a bunch of adults now. So tell them to forget about me," Sawada sighed. He turned around and grabbed his coat. It seems that he was about to leave his own apartment.

"Sawada! Wait!" Yankumi shouted. She fisted her hands, her voice was shaking.

"I have no idea what had happened to you, not until Kuma and Minami and Uchiyama told me everything! All I knew you were away for so long and I missed you! Everybody misses you! Why... What makes you change?! I thought it was only the boys, I couldn't believe them, that's why I came here! I just..." She was about to continue her line when she saw Sawada glared at her deeply. A very sharp glare, without any smile on his face. His thick eyebrows drew closer. It seems that with his eyes he told Yankumi just to shut up.

"Please, whatever happened to you at least let us help." She soften her voice.

"Good bye Yankumi, thank you for visiting," he replied in a deep voice coldly.

Yankumi went speechless. Her mouth was open wide. She couldn't believe what she just heard. She had no choice but to leave his apartment.

"Yeah. I'll leave you now. Take care ne..." She couldn't hide her sadness. She turned around slowly and walked away voluntarily went out and closed the door to the hallways.

Sawada froze for a moment. He put his coat back to the couch and went to the window. There he saw Yankumi walked away slowly from his apartment building. His eyes were following her until she disappeared.
He turned his body and leaned against the windows' seal. Both of his hands tucked into his pockets. He looked down, closed his eyes tightly and sighed...
"What have I done..."