Chapter 28

Sawada's eyes set straight to the upside down photograph Odagiri was about to give him. His heart was racing. He could feel his knees were starting to limb. There was a battle inside him. Like on one side he really wants to grab and see what kind of picture Odagiri might have given him, on the other side, he was between worried and afraid. 'Am I ready for whatever it is?' This question lingers in his mind. However, as he inhaled deeply he slowly took the picture and turned it over.

He knew what he saw was probably something his heart actually couldn't handle. As he turned it over, there was  someone standing, a slim tall girl with a long wavy hair, she was holding some plastic bags of groceries. Her hands  were full. From the way she stood it was like she was about to cross the street. Sawada couldn't see her eyes for she was wearing a ray band, but her gestures showed him that she was cautious. He knew well who the girl is. As if she had a feeling that she was being watched by someone, this girl was like avoiding to be seen.

"It's her... Natsumi..." slowly Sawada voiced out, almost choked.

Sawada couldn't believe what he saw. In the picture her sister looks older than the last time he had a video call with her. He didn't understand, but he was speechless. He knew it was definitely her! He kept staring and staring on the picture. He looked down to the small writings printed on the bottom of the photograph, it was the year the photo taken. His eyes widened in disbelieve. The warmth feeling suddenly filled his chest, he was in awe. Until finally, Minami's voice broke the silence.

"Shin," said Minami slowly.

"this photo was taken a year ago... in Hawaii..." Minami was trying to tell him about the picture in the most calm manner, for he seemed afraid his best buddy would act beyond control.

"Eeeehhhh....?" That was the only reaction Sawada could give. He was stunned. He couldn't say a word. Then Odagiri continued his Senpai's explanation.

"That's right Sawada san, your sister, She is alive, very well and healthy..." His eyes were staring at Sawada. He was waiting for this guy's reaction.

Sawada glared wildly at Odagiri Ryu. His eyes widened, didn't realize tears started to burst out uncontrollably.

"Bu... But... I... I... don't understand..." That's all he could say.

"At first I didn't either, but Odagiri Ryu can explain," continued Minami as he tapped his buddy's shoulder from the side.

***

The explanation wasn't that simple. It took a bit longer for Sawada to get himself together. Yes, Natsumi didn't die on suicide. She was saved by a guy Odagiri and Yankumi knew well. He was the one who knew exactly what had happened to Natsumi. The body they found wasn't hers. Although everybody was sure it was her. All Sawada knew that his family decided to have her body cremated, since the incident was two weeks before he arrived home from his journey to Africa. All he knew that her urchin was always standing on the corner of one room at his parents house, until now. Means, all his family didn't know about this either. As Sawada himself who had never seen her body either.

Odagiri said he found out about this when he accidentally found the file of a case which was related and lead to her and all the Sakurai tribe's cases. He was curious about this tribe so he tried to get some information related to it. Until finally it led to a guy named Ren! This name sound familiar to him. Odagiri then remembered he himself used to help Yankumi with her class long before he finally decided to join the Police Academy. That time there were one of the student's who was in trouble who also has got the same call. This memory triggered him to find out more. He was searching for all information related to this man from every cases tracks, files, and criminal records. Yes, Ren used to be in trouble for couple of times but Yankumi saved him.

In short, information about Ren also lead him to Mr. Sakurai Takashi. The leader of the Sakurai tribe, who that time was involved in an assault of some people in the city. Then due to the case he finally met Minami who then told him that Sawada Natsumi was also involved in the case. He told Odagiri everything, including the moment when they finally called Natsumi to testify on the court for one of the Sakurai's cases.

Sumari, her position as a witness had put her in a dangerous situation. She was very scared and threatened. Her life was shadowed by the Sakurai's henchmen. She used to tell Minami that she regretted her meeting with Mr. Sakurai who once promised her a good life.

As she was threatened and cornered, she realized that she needed some help to get away from the dangerous situation. She tried to call Sawada for telling him everything. However, she couldn't make it for the next day Sakurai's henchmen were hunting her down. The only way to stop them was to fake her own death helped by this guy Ren, who was Yankumi's student she met right after she decided to leave Mr. Sakurai.

Along with Ren's help, she made herself to fly to Hawaii, and finally changed her name and hid her real identity. Apparently, Natsumi was always a bright young lady that she knew there was something she could do to safe herself and the baby in her belly.

***

"Sawada..." Yankumi spoke out as she finally saw her student stood right in front of her porch.

He was wearing the same overall jacket and his hair was tied, but not as neatly as before. Apparently, he hadn't gone home yet after the incident happened.

"Can I come in?"

"Sure!" Said Yankumi in haste.

"We were all waiting for you this morning, but you didn't show up..." Added Yankumi.

"So they all decided to go home, they were all exhausted, poor the boys. But they promise to come back tomorrow, when we all got the news about you." Yankumi smiled as she finished her sentence.

Sawada walked inside the living room, loosen his scarf and put them on the couch along with his overall jacket.

"Have you taken a shower?" Asked Yankumi.

"There's a towel on the shelf in front of the bath room, it's clean, you can use it. Let me make you some coffee."

"Where's Minoru?" Asked Sawada hesitantly.

"Aahh, he went to Kuma's Ramen restaurant, you know how similar they are when it comes to food, haha" replied Yankumi smiling.

That night, Sawada decided to stay at Yankumi's place. There was a comfort feelings he used to have like fifteen years ago, but this time, the feelings grow stronger and stronger.

Yankumi didn't ask. She didn't want to ask. She knew he needed some comfort. She knew he didn't want to be alone. That's why she just accompanied him, her long time student, who now has grown to be a fine man.