The Light Behind Your Eyes

A.N// If you've been here the whole time you know I thrive on angst and the suffering of my wonderful readers, soooo here we go again with some fresh hot angst that Ive been procrastinating about for a long-ass time. This is going to be based on the song The Light Behind Your Eyes by My Chemical Romance

If I could only be with you tonight
I would sing you to sleep
Never let them take the light behind your eyes
One day I'll lose this fight
As we fade in the dark
Just remember you will always burn as bright.

Michael tried sleeping, only to be plagued by the same memory taunting him relentlessly.
The night he lost his best friend.
The best friend he loved...and now could never tell how he truly felt.

It happened only a few weeks prior.
The play.
Everything came back so vividly.
There Michael was, having brought the saving grace; Mountain Dew Red and charging onto the stage to save everyone.
Most importantly though,
his Jeremy.
Everything was going to be fine, the Mountain Dew Red would get rid of that god awful Squip and things could go back to the way they were.
That's how it should've happened.

But then...
"You don't want to drink that Jeremy." The Squip had said, an evil grin on its face as it became powerful enough to become a physical hologram.
"Why not?!" Jeremy dared, his voice clearly displaying his panic.

"Don't you see Jeremy? I'm a part of you. I'm connected to everything.
Your brain.
Your nervous system.
Even your heart.
If you destroy me you'll destroy yourself."
The Squip said in a mockingly sweet tone. Every word that came out of his mouth sounded monotone and at the same time seething with malicious intent.

"I-I don't believe you."

And Jeremy drank.

Hot tears rolled down Michael's face as he could so clearly hear the blood-curdling blur that occurred after.
A scream tore through the auditorium, silencing everyone else as Jeremy clutched his chest, thrashing around and trying to tear himself apart to end his searing pain.

Michael's eyes widened and he shook his head as he
whispered "No." then fell to his knees next to Jeremy.
"No no no no. That was supposed to save you. It'll save you Jer- I'll save you it'll be okay please just-just hang on." Michael said weakly, holding back tears as Jeremy's struggling grew weaker.

Be strong and hold my hand
Time- it comes for us, you'll understand
We'll say goodbye today
And I'm sorry how it ends this way
If you promise not to cry
Then I'll tell you just what I'd say.

Michael gripped Jeremy's hand tightly as everything fell silent, Jeremy laying on his back, smiling weakly up at Michael.
"You saved me Mikey." He whispered before closing his eyes for the last time.

"Jeremy no!" Michael yelled through sobs as he shot up in bed, clutching onto his pillow for dear life. Tears streamed down his face and his shirt was soaked with tears and the cold sweat the memory had brought on.
Waking up sobbing was a common occurrance.
It happened nearly every night since Jeremy died.

Sometimes we must grow stronger and
You can be stronger when I'm gone
When I'm here, no longer
You must be stronger and

If I could be with you tonight
I would sing you to sleep
Never let them take the light behind your eyes
I failed and lost this fight
Never fade in the dark
Just remember you will always burn as bright.