Chapter 17

--------------Maria's POV---------------

Me and my dad were ice skating. I felt like a pro, but my dad on the other hand couldn't stand up straight. He fell and I laughed while helping him on his feet.

"This stupid ice is making me look so fucking stupid." He said falling down for the fiftieth time.

"It's not that hard dad. Hold my hand and I'll help." I stuck my hand out and he grabbed it. He was skating a little better, but not as good.

After skating for forty-five minutes or so, we went to get a snack at the concessions. He bought us two popcorns, two funnel cakes, and two large drinks.

"This is a lot of food just for a little snack."

"More for me then." He goes for my food, but I slap his hand.

"My precious." We laughed and it's probably the first time in a long since we've had father-daughter time.

--------------Niall's POV-----------------

My ass is hurting from falling down so much on that damn ice. I hope no one got pictures of me falling down. That would be embarrassing.

I buy a small snack for me and Maria and her eyes get big when she sees the amount I food I bring back. It's only two of each thing that's all, and to me it's not enough food.

"This is a lot of food for a little snack." She said her eyes still wide.

"More for me then." I go for her funnel cake and popcorn, but she slaps my hand before I touch it.

"My precious." I laugh and she laughs with me. Her laugh reminded me of her mother's laugh. Oh, how I miss Anaïs.

"Dad?"

"Yeah, princess."

"What was yours and moms first date?"

"It was the date when I fell in live with the girls of my dream."

----------------Flashback----------------

I walk up to her door, and knock on it softly. Anaïs answers the door. She was dressed in a blue crop top with a black tank top underneath, blue basketball shorts, and some blue Jordans. I know this isn't a good idea of a first date, but she said she was a better basketball player than me

"Hey." I say and kick the blade of grass on under my feet.

"Hi." She walked out of her house in a hurry. She seemed like she was trying to get away from something or someone.

"You look pretty today."

"Thanks." She looked down at her fingers and doesn't make a peep.

We drive in front of a gym and walk inside to the court.

"One ball, please."

"Okay." The lady in the front desk says and hands us the ball.

"You get ball first since your a girl."

"Oh, you're scared I might steal the ball from you when you least expect it."

"Okay, then I'll get ball first."

I bounced it to her and she bounced it back. I dribble onto the court and she steal it from my hand and shoots a three.

"Swish!! In goes the ball." She brags in my face.

"I wasn't ready."

"Yeah whatever you say. Since I made the first basket it's gonna be make-it-take-it."

"Okay."

We played all night and its tied 50-50. I had the ball and I bounce it to her and she bounces it back. She squats down in front of the ball and guards me. I dribble around her and she grabs the ball. I chase after her and wrapped my arms around her. She squeals and laughs. We both fall to the ground and laugh together.

We walk to the bleachers and took a break. She bought a Grape Powerade and I took a sip of it.

"Why were you in a rush to leave your house?"

She looks down at her drink and takes in a deep breath. "I told my mom I was going on a date and she's trying her best to make my life miserable."

"How is she making it miserable?"

"She makes me stay in the house during the weekends, so I won't be seen in public with her."

"Oh."

"Ever since I was in first grade, she would abuse me verbally and physically. My dad would protect me from her, but he died when I was 12, so I have no one." She starts to cry and I pull her on my lap to comfort her.

"Has she been hurting you worse?"

"Yes and she blames me for killing him."

" You know how you say you have no one."

"Yeah." She sniffles and wipes her eyes.

"You're wrong. You have me."

"But you're about to leave for your tour."

"Come with me." She stands up quickly when I said those words. Was it wrong to say that?

"But my mom, she's gonna kill me if I leave or worse hurt my brothers and sisters."

"No she won't I'll make sure of that."

"I don't know. I'm just scared."

"You don't ever have to be scared anymore when you're with me." I stand up and put my hands around her face. "I'll protect you." I move a piece of her brown hair behind her ear and kiss her lips softly. She kisses me back and she pulls back.

"What's wrong?"

"My mom, she's on her way here."

"We'll wait for her, and I'll talk to her."

--------------------Stops------------------

"Hold on." I answer my phone and it's Harry. "Yeah?"

"Niall, it's Chloe."

"What about her?"

"She's been in and accident."

"Hold on we'll be there in a few minutes. Where are you?"

"I'm following the ambulance to the hospital." I can hear his voice crack.

"Okay we're on our way." I hang up and throw our trash away.

"What happened?" I remember that Maria didn't hear.

"Chloe was in and accident and she's going to the hospital."

"What?"

"Come on we have to see what happened."