Chapter 26

**Maria's POV**

I woke up the next morning with a terrible headache and eye ache. I walk into the bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror. My eye was swollen and bruised. I touched it and flinched.

"Shit, why'd I do that?!"

"Munchkin? You in there?"

"Yeah, Uncle Harry."

I put some sunglasses on and opened the door for him. He walks in and hugged me.

"Where were you last night? Me and your dad was worried sick."

"Yeah, he saw me walk in last night."

"Why are you wearing sunglasses inside?"

"Because I have a headache."

He took my glasses off and saw my black eye. "What the hell happened to your eye?"

"Just don't worry about it. It was an accident, and don't worry about snitching to my dad he already knows." I march out of the bathroom and back into my room. I didn't feel like going to school today again this week. It's Friday anyway so there's no need to go.

I lay back on my pillow and picked at my cuts. One of then started to bleed so I ran to the bathroom and put a bandage on it to stop the bleeding. I lay back on my bed and just stared at the ceiling. I think about what my mom said. To call her and she'll be there.

"Mom?" I sat up and waited for her to come. I start to get light-headed and passed out on my bed.

**Maria's Dream**

I open my eyes and I'm in the middle of the woods. I sit up from the ground and start to walk around. I hear a stick crack and I turn around fast. "Who's there?"

"Calm down Maria it's me." My mom's sweet voice says. I run to her and hug her tight. "You called my name?"

"Yeah."

"What's wrong?"

"Why is everything bad happening to me?" I start to cry in her shoulder and she strokes my hair with her hand.

"Shh...I know how you feel."

"How so?"

"When I was 12, my daddy died and my mom blamed it on me. She would beat me and tell me mean things that made me want to commit suicide."

"Why would she do that?"

"She hated me. She said I made me dad turn on her."

"She beat you after he died?"

"No, the first time she hit me was when I was six and she made my nose bleed." We sat down in front of a stream. I sat down in front of her as she played with my hair.

"I think daddy hates me more."

"Maria, I told you he doesn't hate you. You're the only person he loves that he has left."

"Mommy..."

"Yes?"

"Why did you die? Why did God take you from us?"

"Because it was my time to go."

"But he can't just take you away from us. Why would he do something like that?"

"Because-" She starts to fade and I begin to wake up from my dream.

**Ends**

"Maria?" I look up and it's my dads standing over me shaking me lightly. I stretch my arms and legs a little. I begin to rub my eyes when I forgot the swollen eye.

"Shit!!"

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"Okay, and there is some lad here at the door asking to see you. Should I let him in?"

"No, I'll go to the door." I walk to the front and open the door.

"Jason?!"