Chapter 55

**Maria's POV**

We walked all the way to the fruit market to pick up some pomegranates and apples. Devan was quiet the whole time there. Some girls would try to flirt with him, but all he did was smile at them and walk away.

"So...how old are you?" I try to get rid of the awkwardness.

"Twelve. I'm turning 13 next month."

"That's cool. You sure are getting a lot of attention from those girls over there." I pointed to the group of giggling girls.

"Yeah...they're not my type." He waved at the girls and they squealed.

"What's your type, then Curly?"

"I like a girl who is confident enough to talk to me, who has a great attitude, and who I can talk to if my days are bad."

"Maybe that girl is your type." I pointed to a girl who was walking towards us.

"Hi." She squeaked and looked down at her feet. "I'm Danielle."

"Hi, my name's Devan and this is my cousin Maria."

"I know who Maria is. I'm sorry that happened to you."

"It's alright, I'm fine now."

Danielle was a pretty little girl. She was probably Devan's age maybe a year younger. She had brown hair, with a couple highlights, that was wavy and long. Her eyes were bright bluue and quite big. Her Irish accent very heavy.

"Umm...Devan?"

"Yeah?"

"Is it okay if umm...I c-could have your number?"

"Yeah, put your number in my phone and I'll put mine in yours." They exchanged numbers and Devan hugged the now tomato red girl. I smiled at him and he looked up at me confused. "What?"

"First day here and you already got a girl's number." I nudged his shoulder.

"Yeah, and she already text me." He shoved his black IPhone in my face. We walked in a nearby Mac Donald's and Devan ran into a pole, making me laugh really hard, because his eyes were glued on his phone.

"Here's your Big Mac, large fries, and small coke." I set his food in front of him and he just nodded. "Are you still texting that, Danielle girl?"

"Yep. She's pretty cool." He set his phone down and devoured his food. He must have been pretty hungry.

"So...tell me about yourself."

"Well I'm Devan Zachary Richard, I'm 12 about to be 13, I found out Chloe is my mom , not my sister, I was abused by my fake mom, who is our grand mother, and now I have this black boot on my leg." He took a long sip of his coke. "Now...tell me about yourself."

"I'm Maria Denise Horan, I'm 15 about to be 16 next week, I was kidnapped and raped, now I'm pregnant, my boyfriend is in jail for 3 years, and my mom died when I was 5."

"We both have pretty depressing stories."

"We sure do." I chuckled.

"What is something your good at?" He asked and finished the last of his fries.

"I'm good at...singing."

"Me too." We were interrupted by some camera flashes. "What's going on?"

"Umm...Let's go to the back." I pulled Devan up and grabbed our stuff. "Devan call my dad." I handed him my phone.

"Maria is that your new boyfriend?"

"No, he's my cousin."

"He looks a lot like Harry Styles." They started to surround us and flash the cameras in our face. Devan grabbed onto the back of my shirt and buried his head in my back.

"Please leave us alone." They just surrounded us into a corner.

"Maria!! Devan!!" We all turned around and saw Paul and Liam. "Hurry, Paul!!" Liam yelled.

"Move back!!" Paul pulled us out and into a black SUV. Uncle Harry, my dad, Liam were all there. "You kids alright?"

"Yeah...we are." I said trying to calm me and a shaking Devan down.

(A/N)

Yay today is Liam's birthday. To dedicate his birthday I wrote 'Daddy Direction' on my wrist and didn't touch a spoon all day.

Please check out my other books 'Vamp Slayer' and 'Just a Fan'.

<3 Anaïs