Twenty-Eight

"You can't cry," Louis whispers with wide eyes, his mother furrowing her eyebrows while his siblings look at him almost in fear. "He has been crying all day, and I love him, but I just want him to not cry for a few minutes, and if you cry, he cries."

"I can't help it if I cry," Jay huffs. Louis gives his mother a look before turning around and opening the door.

Harry looks up from where he's cradling Josh, his eyes tired and his hair a mess. He caught a quick fifteen minute nap about an hour after the birth before a nurse came in and made him try breastfeeding. Joshua is only two hours old, but Harry feels like it's been days.

"Hiii," Harry greets softly, smiling wearily as Louis leads his family in. Louis stands by Harry protectively, kissing the top of his head. "This is Joshua. Joshua William Tomlinson."

"Oh, Harry," Jay coos, and she already has tears in her eyes. Louis almost calls her out for it, but then he looks down at Josh, and yeah, he gets it. "He's so beautiful."

"Yeah," Harry giggles quietly. "He's got a lot of Louis in him."

"He's so cute," Fizzy gasps, peering over the bed and looking at Josh.

"You sound surprised, Fiz," Louis laughs. Harry brushes back the little bit of hair on Joshua's head, smiling fondly as Louis kisses the top of his head again.

"Can I hold him, love, please?" Jay asks softly.

"Of course," Harry replies, kissing Joshua's forehead softly before carefully handing him over to Jay. Jay takes him gently, smiling down at him and bouncing him lightly while Louis sits down on the edge of Harry's hospital bed.

"After they leave you can catch a quick nap," Louis whispers to Harry sweetly. "I can take care of the baby."

"It's okay," Harry shakes his head, eyes droopy and smile sleepy. Louis grabs Harry's hand off the bed and lifts it up, kissing the back of it.

"You want to have a good cuddle, then?" Louis asks. Harry nods, and Louis leans over and kisses his forehead. "I'm proud of you, H."

"Thanks, Lou," Harry replies.

"Mr. Tomlinson," A nurse pokes her head into the room to see that Harry is sleeping while Louis is tending to the baby. "Mr. Styles' mum is here to visit."

"She is?" Louis asks, keeping his grip on Joshua secure. The nurse nods slowly. "I-Okay, uh, I'm going to go out and talk to her. Please don't let her near Harry unless I give you the okay."

"Of course," The nurse nods again. Louis kisses the top of Joshua's head before gently setting him down into his cot. He gives him a wary look before reluctantly walking towards the door and stepping into the corridor.

Louis recognises Harry's mum from when he helped Harry move his stuff out. She doesn't look as poise as she did then, because now she's in sweatpants and a t-shirt and her hair is up sloppily. She looks almost nervous of Louis as he crosses his arms and stares at her for a few seconds.

"Awfully brave of you to show your face to either of us after what you did to him," He says after a few moments of silence. He can't imagine why she looks so intimidated by him, with the spit-up on his shirt and the tear tracks still on his face.

"Harry's sister told me the baby's been born," Anne explains, her accent just a bit more posh than Harry's. "And I wanted to come to see my son, because quite frankly, I'm very worried about him."