Seven

"I love snow."

"It's barely snowing."

Harry huffs and glares at Louis dramatically, causing Louis to smirk almost fondly. Harry tilts his head back like he had been doing before Louis "insulted him" and sticks his tongue out, feeling the cold hit his tongue. Louis watches, snow falling onto Harry's tongue and the red tip of his nose. He looks gorgeous, ethereal even. Louis' smirk turns into a very small, very adoring smile.

"Harreh!"

Harry turns to see Daisy running toward him, holding her arms up toward him. Harry smiles and lifts Daisy up. "Look at the snow, love," Harry says softly, holding his hand out and feeling the cold drops on his palm. Daisy copies him, giggling at the cold.

Louis continues to watch Harry. He's evidently gotten much better with younger kids since he's arrived. "Maybe we should go inside, 's cold," He suggests, observing Daisy doesn't have a proper jacket on. Harry pouts but doesn't argue, following Louis into the house with Daisy in his arms.

His mum is on the phone, holding Doris up to her shoulder and speaking to someone very wearily. She's exhausted, obviously, and Louis feels awful. He helps Daisy untie her shoe laces before standing up and hearing Ernest cry from the nursery. He watches his mother' face practically crumble, so he singled to her that he'll get it. Harry follows him, and they walk to the nursery, Ernest's screams becoming louder.

"Hey, buddy," Louis says softly, smiling as Ernest becomes just a bit calmer. "What's wrong, kiddo?"

And then he smells it. Louis wrinkles his nose, and Harry watches with curiosity as he lays Ernie down on the changing table. "Need any help?" Harry asks, and Louis nods.

"Hold my nose for me," He requests, and Harry bursts into laughter, but obliges. He walks over and holds Louis' nose, laughing harder when Louis says, "Thank you" because his voice sounds ridiculous.

Louis changes Ernie's nappy and suits him back up in his baby grow. He's still a bit fussy though, so Louis hands him over to Harry. "Calm him down."

"I-" Harry panics, looking down at Ernie nervously. "I don't know how, Louis." Ernie starts to whine louder, and the anxiety in Harry's face becomes more prominent.

"It's okay, H, here," Louis says calmly, stepping toward him and adjusting Ernie a bit. "Bounce just a bit." Harry does, and Louis keeps his hands on Harry's elbows. "There you go, look, he's stopped. You did it."

"I did it," Harry repeats with a small smile. Louis takes Ernie and lays him back down in his cot. He turns around and gives Harry a hug, which the shorter boy accepts openly.

"See? You're already doing good," Louis says quietly, and Harry just clings onto him tighter. He's scared, Louis can tell, a lot more scared than Louis is, and Louis is petrified.

They lean back from each other, but they don't separate. Harry just stares into Louis' eyes, biting his lip as Louis stares at Harry's lips.

And then Louis realises, what the hell is he doing? Harry doesn't want him, he's Harry-fucking-Styles, why would he? Just the thought of being spontaneous and kissing Harry, along with all the events that follow, makes Louis' stomach turn.

He steps back. Harry looks angry, almost, and maybe upset, but he doesn't say anything. He just walks out of the nursery. Louis looks back at Ernie, and his stomach turns even further at the thought of having his own person, he and Harry together.

Louis avoids Harry basically all day. He helps his Mum with chores, plays games with Daisy and Phoebe, does anything to keep his mind off Harry.

Harry comes downstairs hours later, looking very tired as he gives Louis a small look. "Will you take a walk with me?"

Harry's expressed his concerns to Louis before. He doesn't like going out and about too much by himself, because most of the time kids that have either already graduated from or are currently in the school know of Harry, of his provocativity and he's gotten shit for it. He didn't go in depth, and Louis doesn't think he wants him to.

Louis simply nods, standing from where he was colouring with Daisy and Phoebe and grabbing his jacket off the chair. "Sure, yeah," He replies, following Harry outside. He shoots his Mum a text telling her where they're going, knowing she's upstairs with the younger set of twins.

"Have you ever had a girlfriend?" Harry blurts out before they even make it out of the driveway. Louis frowns, starting to walk toward the pavement as Harry follows.

"Um, yeah," Louis replies. "A few. Why do you ask?"

"Sophia told me Liam was talking about it," Harry shrugs. "It was before...everything. She mentioned a few other things as well, but I didn't think they were true."

"Like what?" Louis asks, stomach turning.

"Like you broke Eleanor Calder's heart," Harry says casually. And, yikes, Louis can feel himself start to shake. He looks away from Harry, stuffing his hands into the pockets of his jacket.

"Don't know if I broke her heart, but," Louis clears his throat. "How do you even know who Eleanor is? She goes to a school half an hour away."

"Sophia told me," Harry says, and how the fuck did Sophia know? Louis is trembling, feeling his lip quiver as he looks back over to Harry. Harry's face softens at Louis' expression. "Louis, what happened?"

"She didn't tell you?" Louis asks in disbelief. Harry shakes his head solemnly. "Oh."

"You don't have to tell me," Harry says softly, stopping suddenly. Louis stops as well, looking down and biting his lip to stop himself from crying, stop himself from breaking down and crying into Harry's hair.

He hasn't thought about it in so long.

"Not now," Louis decides after taking a few deep breaths. "Someday, yeah, but 'm...'m not ready."

"That's okay," Harry replies assuringly, reaching over and giving his arm a squeeze. "Take your time, Lou."