NINE - THE ONE WHO DEFINITELY HAS A CRUSH

GOAL: 45 VOTES AND 25 COMMENTS

word count: [3526]

I was working at the diner with two trays in my hand, each tray supporting two to three plates. I was walking out from behind the counter when someone from behind me squeezed their hands around my shoulder and gave me a bear hug. I jumped at the shock and slight intrusion. I steadied myself, careful not to drop the trays and plates of paying customers' foods.

"El!" A voice scream excitedly, and I can't even be mad at her because I missed her so much.

I carefully placed the trays down and hugged her again immediately. "Haze! Oh my god. You were supposed to be back a week ago," I accused, shaking my head against her shoulder.

"I'm sorry, El." She pulled away. With a huge smile on her face, she began to explain briefly about her travels. "We were about to head home when we ran into these hitchhikers. They said they were going an adventure-- zip lining, skydiving, bungee jumping, everything imaginable. You know we couldn't say no."

As I looked at my best friend with a beautiful sparkle in her eyes as she retold her experience, I couldn't really blame her. "I'm really glad you guys had fun, truly, but I missed my best friend too much," I gushed. I couldn't help but pull her in for another hug.

I looked over her shoulder to see her boyfriend. I pulled away from her again. "Eli!" I gave him a friendly hug as well. "So how was backpacking for a month with our crazy girl? Did you take care of her and make sure she didn't get into any fights?"

We released each other from the hug. "You know Hazel. Can't keep her from that. It'd be like keeping a child away from candy and ice cream."

I nodded, agreeing with him.

Hazel, who stood next to us, huffed and put her hands on her waist. "It was only one fight. AND she provoked me."

Eli shook his head in disagreement, but there was a faint of a smile on his face. "Babe, she accidentally tripped you. Look, I love you, but it's not really her fault that she just happened to place her foot out, and you just happened to not see it and stumble over it."

She whipped her head towards his direction so fast. "Are you blaming me?" She glared at him. Her looks could definitely kill a poor soul.

Eli held his hands up in surrender, knowing better than to question his very passionate girlfriend.

She huffed and turned back to me. "That's what I thought," she mumbled.

"I'm very happy that you're back, Hazel, but please let my employee do her work, or else I'm going to force you back into this apron on your first day back!" Sharon warned, glaring at us. Her eyes were filled with love though.

"I'm jetlagged," Hazel whined.

Sharon gave her a pointed look, letting Hazel know that she didn't care. Hazel sighed and moved out of my way reluctantly. I laughed lightheartedly at the scene, finding it very funny. I got back on duty, placing the trays carefully on my hand. I delivered the orders to the customers while plastering on a friendly smile.