THIRTY-ONE - THE ONES WHO PART WAYS

vote and comment!! this chapter is a BIG one, content wise. VERY, VERY SORRY

majority of you guys voted for tuesday so next update will be on tuesday!

also, follow me for any updates! i usually post about how i can update on time or not. if you have any questions about my update, i probably already posted it on my account. so follow me to stay in the loop!

 so follow me to stay in the loop!

word count: [2107]

Things had gotten better for a while, but it was short-lived. It made me wonder if he only stayed with me because he felt like it was the right thing, not because it was the thing he wanted to do. It was a huge difference. I knew that.

At the beginning of the first month, he had started to miss our scheduled Facetime calls in general. He didn't even bother to pick up or text me. That's when I truly couldn't deny it any longer.

"I don't think he loves me anymore, Hazel," I had told my best friend one night on Facetime when Brandon hadn't picked up for the third time.

She had looked tired, but it was more like she had been tired of how Brandon was acting, not like she had been tired of me coming to her crying. "What did he do now?"

"He missed it again," I had said miserably.

"Again? What is it? Like the tenth time now?" She had said, angrily.

I had sniffled. "The third," I had said quietly.

Her eyes had hardened. "That's more than acceptable."

"I know," I had admitted softly because I did, but it still had hurt me to admit. This wasn't the Brandon I fell in love with.

"He wouldn't even text me to tell me why?" I had cried. "Why wouldn't he at least give me that? Now, I'm just wondering what went wrong. What happened? Did I do something? Was it a mistake to come on this trip?" I had broken down crying, choking on my own tears. I hadn't even felt strong enough to look at Hazel, so I had hidden my face in the comfort of my own arm.

"Don't you dare think like that. If he resents you for going on that trip, it's not your fault. Look me in the eye and tell me if you think it's a mistake."

I had slowly lifted my head up. "I think it's the most amazing experience I have ever had."

"Then maybe it was a mistake to go on that trip with a boyfriend at home. If he can't support you fully, if he can't wait at home for you, then it's on him. Not you."

"But everything was fine before I left. The only thing I did was just go and ruin it," I had said, angry with myself. I had hurriedly brushed the tears before it had traveled any further down my cheeks.

"We've gone over this before," she had said, sadly. I had known that she didn't like to see me so broken. I had known that it hurt her as much as it hurt me and that it was hard for her. "We both know that that's not true. We also know that this is more than what you're saying." I had just stared at her blankly—not because I had been clueless about what she was saying but because I hadn't wanted to think about that possibility. "His ex-girlfriend. Not that annoying Melanie, but his first love. Her name's Charlotte," she had said slowly like she was breaking the news that my dog just died. "I did some research on her. I wish she was this mean girl that only wanted him for fame, like Melanie, but it seemed that she truly loved him. She's gorgeous. Brown hair. Brown eyes. She's met his family. He always talked about her in interviews. She was his girl."