Chapter 25 - Acceptance

This chapter is set at the same time as a part of the  last chapter. It starts right before Harry and Lauren left the livingroom in chapter 24. (: Thank you xx

I wrote this in a third person POV, so you get to know a bit of what she thinks and a bit of what he thinks, so I hope it's okay. (:

“Don’t make me regret it.” Lauren replied to Harry, and by then the others had stopped doing what they were doing and started paying attention to the two of them. Harry stayed quiet for a couple of seconds, thinking through the situation, and how to make the most of it. Everyone else was quiet as well, just watching the two of them, and wondering who would speak next.

After about half a minute, Harry finally decided to do it, but not in front of the others, so he got up from the couch and walked over to Lauren. When he reached her, he leaned closer to her and put his mouth close to her ear before he whispered. “Can I talk to you?”

Lauren answered him with a small nod as she took a small step back, avoiding everyone’s gazes, including Harry’s. They were both fully clear over the fact that the others in the room were watching them, and it made them both a bit uncomfortable.

Harry was the first to start making his way out of the living room, and it didn’t take long before Lauren too started doing so, understanding that he wanted to have the talk somewhere else, alone. She followed him into the kitchen, and as she made her way over to the window he closed the door behind them.

They just stood there for a minute in silence. Harry was watching Lauren by the window, and Lauren did everything to avoid his gaze, knowing that he was watching her. None of them wanted to be the first one to talk, but Harry had been the one who asked for the conversation, and he knew he had to be the one to make the first move.

“Lorie” Harry said as he left the spot by the door and started making his way over to her.

“Don’t.” Lauren told him and moved her eyes from the window to meet his, glaring slightly at him. She had figured that it would all be a lot easier when he rejected her if she already was angry at him, but it was hard for her. “Don’t call me that, you know I hate it.” She had let him call her Lorie a few times, even though he knew she hated it, because in her mind everything else made up for it. But not now, because now it seemed like an okay reason for her to be angry at him.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to.” Harry answered while he mentally cursed himself for making things worse than they already were. “Lauren…” He started, but quickly trailed off when her eyes once again left him. “Why do you keep avoiding me?”

“Me, avoiding you?” Lauren asked him a bit harsh, meeting his gaze for a couple of seconds before she looked away from him and let out a bitter laugh. “You can’t be serious Harry, you are the one who needed time to think.” Lauren was already regretting that she had agreed to talk with him, it went even worse than she had thought it would go. “You haven’t even texted me once since what happened. Did you really expect me to take contact with you first?”

Harry was now standing by the window, just as Lauren, and not far from her either. He hadn’t really thought it through before he opened his mouth, that wasn’t what he had meant. He had meant why she kept avoiding his gaze, but he then realised that that had a pretty obvious reason.

“It’s absolutely fine if you don’t like me Harry.” Lauren said slowly when he didn’t answer, she just wanted to get it over with. It wasn’t like she hadn’t been rejected before, but she knew how much it hurt, and she didn’t want to lose Harry.

They might have been friends for about half a year, but it felt like their friendship had been there for so much longer than that, like they had known each other for years. It hadn’t taken that long before he became her best friend. The fact that he was her best friend was what scared her the most when she first realised she had feelings for him, because she knew that it most likely wouldn’t work out.