Chapter 18 - Broken trust

I was walking down the hall on my way to the room where the boys were supposed to be when I saw Niall heading my way. His gaze was fastened on his phone, and he didn’t seem to notice me as I got closer. A smile formed on my face as I moved closer to where he would be walking, and as I passed him I bumped into him carefully on purpose.

“I’m so sorry!” I heard him say as I kept on walking, a smile on my face as I wondered how long it would take him to realise it was me. I expected him to catch up with me again or make me turn when he noticed, but he didn’t.

I felt a pair of arms around my waist, stopping me from getting any further, and let out a giggle when he said my name. I turned around facing him with a wide smile on my face. “Niall” I said, copying him.

That’s when I noticed he was wearing his jacket, which was weird, because I thought they were still working. “Are you going out?” I asked him as my gaze returned to his and his grip suddenly loosened a bit.

“Um, yeah… I’m going for lunch… with a friend.” Niall answered, taking small breaks in the sentence and his gaze left mine for a couple of seconds. “Are you looking forward to tonight?” He then asked, changing the subject, but I didn’t think much of it right there and then.

Since I had ruined our day with the girls last weekend, the boys had decided that we should just try to have a new one. I didn’t mind, usually it was just the boys and I, so I was glad they invited the girls over.

“Yes, of course.” I answered him and then remembered he was on his way out when I disturbed him. “You should probably get going.”

“Right, I’ll see you later then, yeah?” Niall took a step back, but didn’t let his hands drop from my waist.

“Yeah.”

“Bye Liz.” Niall removed his hands from my waist as he took a couple of steps back and gave a small wave before he turned around and started walking down the hall and turned the corner. I just stood there looking after him with a smile on my face, and eventually turned around to walk to the other boys, but ended up walking straight into someone.

“Sorry, I… Harry, hi.” I said, my expression quickly changed back to what it had been before I turned around, a smile on my face.

“It’s fine, we are leaving early today by the way.” He told me and smiled back at me before he nodded towards where Niall had disappeared. “I don’t know if Niall told you.”

“Niall?” I said dumbfounded, wondering how much Harry had seen. Mine and Niall’s plan about acting as we did when we were alone hadn’t really been put into life yet, and I wasn’t sure if it ever would be.

“Yeah, I saw him turning the corner and you were looking after him so I assume you talked to him.”  

“Yeah, he told me he was going for lunch with one of his friends.” I answered and caught a glimpse of Louis who was coming our way.

“More like a date.” Harry said and chuckled before he turned to see what I had been looking at and noticed Louis before he turned back to me.

“What do you mean?”

“He’s going out with a girl named… um…” Harry couldn’t seem to remember the name of the girl, could he be joking or was Niall really out on a date? Not that I had anything to say, we weren’t exactly together. The only ones who knew that we were what we were were Niall, Alex and I. I had told her, I trusted her with it and believed that she wouldn’t tell anyone else, because that could ruin it and I knew she didn’t want to do that to me. “Louis, what was the name of the girl Niall is going out with?”