Chapter 31: Adopting Ori

[Jack POV]

"Daddy?"

"Yes baby girl?"

"Is it normal for me to have two daddys?" Almost all of my movement stops.

"Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why wouldn't it be normal? Why do you want to know?"

"The other kids at school keep calling you faggots." I urch the car to a stop and turn to Phia.

"Baby, don't say that word. That's a bad word. Promise me?"

"Yes, daddy. Sorry daddy."

"It's okay baby. I'm not mad." I turn back to the road and continue driving.

"I'm going to need to talk to their parents." I say, itching the top of my head and leaning on the door of my car.

"Why?"

"Because they shouldn't be saying that. Just because we're gay doesn't mean we aren't normal. Just because I like a man doesn't mean I have rabies. And that's what everyone in this world thinks. Well, except the other gays, and lgbt supporters, and all the nice people in the world."

"And me?"

"Yes, baby. You are a nice person. And lgbt supporter. You always will be. Always have been."

"Okay." I look back at her through the rearview mirror. She was looking out the window.

"Does you two being gay mean I have to be gay?"

"Of course not. You can like whatever gender you want. Female, male, non-binary, anyone. As long as they make you happy and as long as daddy and I approve. Ain't no way we're letting you be with someone that will hurt you. Don't want any broken hearts. Or bruises."

"Okay daddy."

"If anybody makes fun of you, I will let you say something."

"What's that?" She asks, still looking out the window.

"I will let you say, "I don't fucking care." If they say you're ugly, or make fun of daddy and I, or just anything mean to you, say "I dont fucking care." Or if they make fun of anyone else, you need to help them."

"Okay. I will."

"Good." I pull up into the school. I get out of the car, open her door, and help her out. "Gimme kiss." She gives me a kiss, a hug, and runs off to the front of the school. "Have a good day baby! I love you!" She looks back, says, "I love you!" blows a kiss, then disappears into the school.

"Hello." I turn around and see a young women with shoulder length blonde hair.

"Oh, hello."

"I'm Helen. That little girl yours?" Obviously meaning Phia.

"Oh, yeah. Phia. She's a cutie."

"She is."

"I'm Seán, by the way. I go by Jack."

"Oh." We shake hands.

"So, who's your kid?"

"Little Joseph over there." She points to the little boy that was climbing around on the benches. He finally disappears inside. "Well, I should probably get home. My husband must be waiting."

"Yeah." She hands me a slip of paper.

"My number. Just so we can keep in touch, possibly set up a play date for Phia and Joseph."

"Yeah, deffinetaly. Bye, Helen." She waves and leaves. I get into my car and drive home. I get inside, and hear screaming. He was recording. Best to not mess with him.