Chapter 29

The hot tears stung both of her eyes, a few dropping on her cheeks as she stormed away. She couldn’t believe. She couldn’t believe she had been so stupid. But then again, love made anybody act like a fool.

The balls of her feet hurt, her arms grew tired, and her heart even ached. She hated it all. She thought it was all going to end up okay. She thought everything was going to be okay.

Everything was going to be okay, she thought. But it never actually was.

From the very beginning, everything was wrong. From the love of her life’s brother treating her like dirt to witnessing him cheat on her. From meeting the one she wanted to spend the rest of her life with to seeing him kiss the girl that broke his heart. It was all wrong. Nothing was right in the world. Nothing was right in this God damn world.

The more she thought about her life at the moment, the faster the tears came. She had no more will power to hold them back. She could hear them pelt against the white bag that was draped in her hands. It stung even more to hear her own sadness, and what was even worse to her was that she couldn’t do anything about it.

She heard the mustang’s engine roaring beside her. She didn’t even have the emotional strength to roll her eyes. Her whole body felt numb, and again, she couldn’t do anything about it.

“Demi, I’m sorry,” the husky voice called out from the car beside her.

Ignoring him, the dusty blonde haired beauty numbly walked along the cold, hard pavement. Once again, she heard his voice call out to her.

“I’m sorry.”

And this was the last time she could hear it before going crazy. Stopping, she stood in place for a couple of seconds before walking to car beside her. She stopped beside the window, opening the black car door. She bent down, enough to peek through the opening.

“Nick,” she whispered, her voice cracking, “please, leave me alone. I can’t handle this anymore. Everything. I can’t handle it. I get it, you’re sorry, but sorry isn’t going to so easy make up all the pain you’ve caused me. I told you my opinion, and you can do what you want with it, but I’m done. Now, please, just let me be.”

And she stood up straight, placing her bags in the passenger side. She placed the small bags on the car’s floor and straightened out her wedding dress on the chair.

“What’re you doing, Demi?” Nick asked. When Demi didn’t answer, he asked again, more sternly this time. “Dems, what’re you doing?”

Demi looked up at him once she was done. “Nick, take this back to your place. I’ll be back on Friday to pick it up. In the meantime, I’m staying at Joe’s. Gotta keep up the act, remember?” She gave a small smile that meant absolutely nothing. As she stood up completely, she closed the door gently behind her. Swiftly, she walked around the car to the driver’s side.

Demi opened the door quickly, leaving Nick shocked. “What’re you-” he asked, being cut off by Demi’s soft lips against his plump ones.

Nick unbuckled his seatbelt, allowing him to reach easier for Demi. His right hand rested on Demi’s hip as his left hand was placed on her cheek. The drying tears from her cheek moistened his palm. His body was completely facing her, tempting its way out of the car.  Demi tried to pull away, failing miserably when she couldn’t find the will power to do so.

“Dems,” she heard Nick whisper huskily. That’s when she knew she had to finally pull away. Quickly, she brought her face away from his, wiping her new tears away.

“I love you,” she whispered, walking away. “I never stopped.”

Too stunned to do anything, Nick stared at her disappearing body. Once he regained his thoughts, he hunched back into his chair, rubbing his face with his hands.

“I really fucked up,” he mumbled. “I really did.”