Chapter 22

Demi dropped the bags into the guest room and stormed out, heading to her and Nick's room. She was confused and angry as to why Nick would say such a thing. A couple moments later, Nick walked into their room shyly.

"What do you want?" Demi asked bitterly.

Nick looked up through his eyelashes. "Dems," he started, "I don't know why I said that. I'm just afraid of her reaction."

Demi crossed her arms as she stared angrily at him. "So, I guess I'm not important enough for you to tell your mother that I'm your girlfriend?" Scoffing, she rolled her eyes and stormed past him. "Whatever."

Nick closed his eyes guiltily. "Dems!" he called out.

Stopping, Demi turned around, "What?"

Nick walked up to her, placing his hands on her shoulders, "Okay, I'll get this straightened out."

Demi eased slightly, "Okay, right now will be nice."

Nodding, Nick turned Demi around and pushed her out of the hallway. "Mom!" he called. "I need to talk to you."

Nick's mother walked out of her room cheerily until she saw Demi. She immediately stopped and crossed her arms. "Nick, what did I say?"

Rolling his eyes, Nick stepped out from behind Demi, putting on a stern expression. "Mom, I'm a grown man. I don't need you to keep telling me bull-"

"What?" Nick's mom asked, taken aback.

"Bull stuff. Yeah, bull stuff. Well, I need to get something straightened out."

Tapping her foot, Mrs. Jonas motioned Nick to continue. "Go on."

Clearing his throat, Nick draped his arm on Demi's shoulder. "Okay, well, Mom, Demi happens to be my--" Nick hesitated, "Joe's girlfriend."

Gawking yet again, Demi stared up at Nick. Pissed, she pushed his arm off her shoulder. She was so angry she decided to play along. "Yes, Mrs. Jonas, I'm Joe's girlfriend. We're actually engaged."

Mrs. Jonas' disgusted expression immediately changed to excitement. "Oh, my god, my son is engaged!" She rushed forward and embraced Demi into a tight hug. Pulling away, she grabbed both of Demi's hands and jumped up and down. "I'm so sorry," she started. "If I knew you were Joe's fiancé I would've been much nicer to you."

Putting on the fakest smile she could, Demi nodded, "Right."

Mrs. Jonas turned toward the stairs and pulled Demi down with her, talking only about an "upcoming wedding."

Nick gawked at the scene that had unfolded in front of him. He watched as his mother started dragging his "girlfriend" down the stairs. As Demi had her back to him, she raised her hand, sticking her middle finger in the air.