Chapter 34

Steady breaths and steady heartbeats. She could count each one of them as she lied on his chest. It heaved up and down slowly, calmly, making her wish that she didn’t have to leave in a few hours.

She twirled her finger lightly on his abdomen as she waited for him to wake up, yawn, and fiddle with her hair – the same routine he had always done in the morning.

After a few minutes of waiting, she stopped idly doing nothing with her hands. They eventually found their way to her brown orbs, wiping away the tears brimming in the corner. She still couldn’t figure out a way to get out of marrying her lover’s brother. She was stuck in the hole that he dug, never seeing the top.

Sniffling quietly, she adjusted her head, looking up through her charcoal colored hair to see his eyes still closed shut. She sighed, sitting up as quietly as she could. A large hand wrapped around her tiny wrist quickly, his grip gentle but firm.

“Where are you going?” his voice rasped out.

She smiled at his tired voice, leaning over and placing a soft kissing upon his lips. “Nowhere, baby.”

His eyes shined as he watched her tan, petite body walk over to the bathroom. Smiling as he peered between the doorway, he placed his arms behind his head as he stretched out his tired body.

“Demi,” he sang, slowly pulling himself up and out of the bed.

Her giggle filled his ears, causing his smile to widen. “What is it, Nick?” she smiled.

Walking up behind her and wrapping his arms around her torso, he kissed her neck, placing his chin on her shoulder. They both watched the other through the mirror in front of them. Both of their expressions seemed stressed. They knew what the other was thinking.

“Nick,” Demi whispered, placing her cheek on the side of his head, “what are we going to do?”

Sighing, Nick hesitantly answered, “I – I don’t know. Didn’t Joe have a plan?”

Giggling awkwardly, Demi shrugged slightly, “Yeah, that plan only went up to me walking up to your door.” She laughed awkwardly again. “Sorry about that.”

Sighing yet again, Nick glanced at the sink then back up to the mirror. “I don’t know what to do,” he whispered, disappointed in himself. “I should have just told her. I’m so sorry.”

Demi hushed him, turning around in his arms. “Hey,” she started, combing her hands through Nick’s hair, “we’ll figure something out.” She paused, smiling, “We always do.”

Although Nick couldn’t feel more hopeless, he still smiled. He somehow believed Demi.

Kissing Demi gently, pulling on her bottom lip with his teeth as he moved away from her face, Nick sighed while he placed his forehead against hers. His hot breath against her chilled skin caused Demi to close her eyes while the Goosebumps flowed up her arms and down her spine.

“I’ll figure something out,” Nick whispered against her lips.

Pulling away from each other, Demi was about to say a few words to Nick when a loud slam erupted from downstairs followed by a long and loud “Nick!”

“Oh, shit,” he muttered under his breath.