Chapter 26

“Thanks, Mrs. Jonas. I had a lot of fun picking out dresses with you,” Demi said cheerily to her future mother-in-law, slipping out of the car.

“You’re welcome, Demi. I think Joe will like your new hair-dew also. Blonde hair looks fantastic on you.” Mrs. Jonas peered through the passenger window at Demi’s new hair. She admired it then turned back to the steering wheel.

“Bye, Mrs. Jonas. Thank you!” Demi exclaimed, walking up the stairs to her boyfriend’s house.

Lightly knocking on the door, Demi waited. After a couple of minutes, Demi knocked again, this time digging through her purse for her house keys. Suddenly, Demi heard laughing and a lamp fall. Even more laughing and a stumble, Demi saw the auburn wood door fly open.

A happy Nick came to the door with a black haired beauty behind him.

Standing straight up in shock, Nick greeted Demi, “Hey,” he said awkwardly.

Scrunching her eyebrows, Demi crossed her arms, her bags colliding with each other. “Hi,” she answered back, annoyed. “What is she doing here?” she asked, anger building in her.

Looking back and opening the door more, Nick stepped to the side, allowing Demi to enter. “You remember Selena, right?”

Dropping her bags to the floor, Demi turned toward the shocked-looking petite girl. “Yeah, but my question is, why is she here?”

Closing the door, Nick answered, “Well, since I assumed you and Joe were going out, oh, wait, getting married, I thought I could pick up where I left off with Sel,” he said sourly.

“Sel?” Demi asked, angrily.

“Yeah, Demi, Sel, and I want you to know something,” he snapped back.

“And what’s that?” Demi growled, moving closer.

“Meet my fiancé.” Nick barked.

Thrown off, Demi stepped back. Feeling her heart crack and same with her voice, she conjured up enough to answer, “Fiancé?”

Shifting in her position, Selena spoke up, “I think I leave to let you two talk. Bye, Nick.” Selena grabbed her purse from the chair in the living room and passed Nick, kissing him on the cheek.

Opening the door for her, Nick spoke, “Wait, Sel.” Stopping her and making Selena face him, Nick reached down and placed his lips on hers, smiling while pulling away. He clicked his tongue, closing the door while Selena walked away.

Turning to Demi with a victory smile on his face, Nick leaned against the door, “Now, what were you saying?”

“Did you really just do that?” Demi asked in disbelief.

“Do what? Get back at you? Yeah, I think I did.”

Throwing her arms up slightly, Demi barked, “Did you really just say that?”

Pushing himself off the door, Nick shrugged. He walked toward her, still smiling. “How does it feel to get your heart completely shattered in less than two seconds? Doesn’t feel good, right? Yeah, that’s how I felt when you and Joe just happened to kiss in front of me. The only difference between yours and mine was that I hated it. But, hey, I’m getting married, too. See you in a week. I have a wedding to plan.”

Nick opened the door, motioning Demi to leave. “Get out,” he said calmly.

“So that’s it?” Demi asked. “You’re just going to throw out everything we had by marrying the same girl who cheated on you? So you’re just going to never talk to me again? You know what, fine but don’t you dare blame this whole thing on me. Remember, YOU were the one who decided to tell your mother I was Joe’s girlfriend.”

Tears started to roll off Demi’s cheeks, and Nick couldn’t bear to see them. He only motioned toward the door again, “Get out,” he mumbled.

Demi walked closer to him, holding in sobs. “I thought you really loved me, Nick, but if you did,” she stepped right in front of him, her glossy eyes staring into his cold ones that were slowly showing emotion, “you wouldn’t have lied.”

“I’m sorry,” Nick whispered. “I do love you, I swear,” he pleaded.

“How many girls have you said that to?” she spat. Demi turned around, grabbing her bags. She walked towards to the open door, stopping in front of the one she loved. Taking a deep breath, she continued looking forward. “Fuck you, Nick.” With that, Demi walked out of Nick’s house, never daring to see him again.