Chapter 32

She stirred in her sleep, her eyes shooting open in an instant. Her heart pounded, and her breathing was at an all time high. She sat up quickly, throwing the blankets away and getting out of the bed slowly. Once she escaped, she walked quickly to the bathroom.

The cool air hit her warm skin, causing her to shiver. She leaned over to the ground to pick up a large white V-neck. Throwing it over her head and looking into the mirror after, she sighed at her reflection. Her skin was pale, there were purplish bags under her eyes, and she looked worn out all around.

You’re so stupid, Demi, she thought.

She sighed again and left the bathroom. Demi saw that Joe wasn’t in his bed anymore, which caused her to groan. Rolling her eyes and walking out of the empty room, she headed down the stairs toward the kitchen. She stopped at the opening to the kitchen, inhaling the scent of eggs and bacon. She shyly crossed her arms across her chest, clearing her throat.

“Hi, Joe,” she mumbled, looking at the floor.

“Hi,” he mumbled back, not breaking his gaze from the hot pan he had in his hand.

“Sorry about what happened,” Demi started, looking up through her eye lashes. “It was a mistake.”

Joe showed no emotion, still stirring the eggs around in the pan. “I know it was.”

Demi dropped her arms, fiddling with her fingers while still looking down. “I really didn’t mean to just force myself upon you last night. I just felt so-”

“I know,” Joe said firmly. While Demi looked up at him shocked, Joe moved from the stove to the sink, placing the food in the sink. He rinsed his hands and the pan off, washing all the food down the drain.

“Joe,” Demi mumbled.

“No, stop,” Joe commanded. He wiped his hands off and walked over to the dining room table, sitting down.

Walking over to him, Demi sat down next to him. “I’m sorry,” she said, looking into his eyes.

“I am, too,” he sighed.

“Look, Joe-”

“No, Demi, you look. Last night when you came to me, I never thought you would actually do that, so I took advantage, and I’m sorry about that.” Standing up, walking away, and throwing his hands over his face, Joe continued. “The whole time we fucked, I just kept thinking about Selena, and I never thought I would admit this about any chick,” he turned around to face Demi, who was still sitting in the same spot, “I think I actually love her.”

Demi looked down at her hands, fiddling with her fingers. She nodded and looked up, a small grin playing on her lips. “I know.” She stood up and walked over to him. Standing on her tippy toes while wrapping her arms around his neck, Demi tightened her hug around Joe as she sighed, “You’re a good guy. Even though you’ve fucked up, you’re a really good guy,” she pulled away, looking into his eyes. She smiled her jaw dropping smile. “I love you.”

Joe smiled and hugged her again, kissing her cheek. “I love you, too, Demi. You’re great.”

Pulling away simultaneously, Demi looked up at Joe. She frowned slightly, forcing back tears as Nick’s flaw free face popped into her head. “I miss him,” she whispered.

“I know you do,” Joe sighed.

They both stood in front of each other for only a couple of seconds. What seemed like forever, Joe began smiling.

Demi furrowed her eyebrows together in confusion. “What?”

Joe smiled wide, grabbing Demi’s hand. “I’ve got an idea, and I need your help.” Dragging Demi out of his house and down his driveway, Joe explained to her what she needed to do.

They both stopped in front of Joe’s car. Demi turned to him, telling him to stop. “Look,” she began, “your idea is brilliant, and I’m all for it, but what if it doesn’t work?”

Joe rolled his eyes, pushing Demi into the driver’s side of his black and grey Lamborghini. He closed the door behind once she settled inside and frantically put on her seat belt. Demi rolled down her window to listen to Joe. “I know it’s going to work,” Joe breathed, smiling. “The wedding’s tomorrow. I know for a fact it’ll work.”

“Okay,” Demi mumbled, “I believe you.”

“I love you,” Joe said, his crooked smile appearing across his face.

Demi smiled back, “I love you, too.”

Rolling up her window and backing out of the driveway, Demi zoomed down the empty street of the quiet, upper-class neighborhood. After a few seconds of still silence, the autumn leaves settled on the road’s black pavement.

All was calm and perfect. Joe’s plan was already set into place.