12

My eyes flutter with a burning sensation in them. My vison is blurred and I can't make out any thing around me. All I can hear is a ringing in my ears and my head is pounding. I can hear a low voice but I can't tell what it is says.
     "Mu...She....woke," Is all I can hear over the ringing. I can feel movement next to me, so I turn my head slowly meeting the face of a young child. His blue eyes were piercing with brown messy hair. His hair was short and styled. I can hear more movement above me across the room. Now I see a woman with a kind smile next to the boy. She says something to him and he weirdly walks away.
     The woman kneels next to me she had kind blue eyes like the boy but her hair was black unlike the him. She moved down towards my injured foot. I can feel her unwrap something but I can't see anything properly. My foot is cold without the bandage that was on my foot. She walks away but then returns quickly with a new bandage dripping a substance. She wraps it back up and she comes closer to me.
     "Can you hear me sweetie?" She asks quietly. I try to talk but words don't come out just a ramble of noises. I finally give up and shake my head in an 'yes' motion. She smiles and holds my hand.
     "It's okay, do you want water?" She asks. I nod a 'yes' again. She turns away from me and comes back with a glass of water. She sits it on the table next to the couch I was on. She helps me up into a sitting position then hands me the glass. I drink it quickly finishing the water. I set it down next to me and smile at her.
     "Whe...re am...I," I ask in a hoarse voice.
     "You are in South Carolina," she tells me with a thick southern accent. She sounds like John and that's when I remember everything. My ankle, the forest, my screams, and worst of all Alexander and I's kiss. 
     "What? I was...in Georgia," I stutter and she nods.
     "I was in a neighboring village selling crops when Phillip my son heard screams coming from inside a forest. He followed them with me behind him when we found you distraught. You passed out. you were weak, and your ankle was horrific. So we brought you back to South Carolina with us," She explains.
     "Oh, how long have I been out?" I ask.
     "About a week," She says.
     "Oh my! They must be so worried," I whisper to myself.
     "Who?" She asks.
     "I was visiting some friends when I...messed up," I said shyly.
     "Okay, you can stay here as long as you would like," She responds sweetly.
     "Thank you," I reply. Almost on time I hear a clicking sound against the floor coming towards us. I turn and I see Phillip the woman's son. He had crutches and his leg was wobbling barely moving.
     "Mum! Can she talk?" He asks excitedly. I laugh and respond "Yes I can. My name is Alaska, Alaska Eden,"
     "Woah, nice to meet you I'm Phillip...ugh," He pauses as he try's to get a step with his crutches. He continues right after the step, "Brown, Phillip Brown!" He was now next to his mom.
     "And I am Amelia Brown," Amelia says smiling.
     "Thank you so much for your hospitality and I am very sorry if I am a bother," I say.
     "Oh it was no bother. It is quite nice to have company out here. It gets lonely with just Phillip and I out in these hills," Amelia admits.
     "Oh is it just the two of you?" I ask. Amelia smile fades.
     "I'm sorry that was not polite to ask," I say quickly.
     "Oh no it is quite all right, My husband died right before Phillip was born in the war. He never even knew I was pregnant with Phillip," She says as she pulls Phillip into a tight embrace.
     "I'm so sorry for your loss," I say shyly.
     "Now well, could you tell me why you were out in the forest all by yourself so close to the camp of the revolutionaries," I sigh and tell them everything from my parents to coming to America to my friends and all the way to Alexander. Amelia nodded as I talked but Phillip stared with wide eyes like he was hearing his favorite story.
     "Wow! That is so cool!" Phillip yells when I finish. Amelia elbows her son giving him a look.
     "Phillip! This woman went through so much, that is not kind!" She scolds.
     "I'm sorry," Phillip says quietly.
     "It is not problem it is one heck of a story," I say. Phillip smiles.
     "If you don't mind me asking but if you love this Alexander and he loves you why can't you be together?" She asks.
    "I'm poor and I have no title. Alexander is gifted with an amazing talent for writing and he is a genius. For him to rise up and to help our country like he dreams of. He needs a woman with money and power," I explain.
    "He has George Washington and his friends to rise up! He is smart so why would he risk everything if he knew it would slow him,"
    "When I was injured he left war for me he risked it! He will do it again I know it," I say defending myself.
    "Are you sure this is for Alexander and not you?" Phillip asks. Amelia and I both turn to him.
    "Well you were talking about how everyone you love dies or leaves so are you scared Alexander will die or leave you?" He says. I stay quiet thinking over his words. Amelia breaks the silence with "Who's hungry?" Phillip lets out a little yell as he makes his way to the kitchen. Amelia follows him, she turns around "You ready to eat?"
     "Yes I will be there in a minute," I respond. Could Phillip be right? Maybe I'm just scared he'll leave? No, I'm a burden I will slow him down...but I don't seems like a burden to Amelia and Phillip but I'm taking there food and supplies. I wish I could just stop overthinking everything!
     I get up and make my way to the dining room limping on my foot which barely hurts...One more thing to thank Amelia for.