18

I've been sleeping in Alexander's bed alone. It's been a few days and I barley eat anymore but I'm just not hungry. Alexander brings me breakfast and dinner every night but if he forgets I won't eat. I can tell he is worried about me but not worried enough to help. All he ever does is write and go to work. While, for me I sleep. Everything just feels so numb I can barley process time and I can't remember emotion but I'm doing fine.
     Alexander is in his office writing when I hear a knock on the door. I wait awhile waiting for Alexander to open the door but he doesn't. I sigh and slowly get out of his bed and down the stairs. I'm wearing one of Alexander's button up shirts and his war pants for comfort. I open the door to see George, Martha, and John. I can tell my face is emotionless so I put on a fake smile for them.
     "What a wonderful surprise," I say in a monotone voice. The Washington's look at me with concern. So I let them into the living room where I then sit on the couch with them all staring at me.
     "Sweetheart are you okay?" Martha asks me as she kneels down at my side.
     "Yeah Alaska? This isn't like you," John says as he sits next to me on the couch.
     "I'm fine, don't worry about me. Why are you guys here?" I ask.
     "Well I wanted to check in on you and I have some business to discuss with Alexander," George tells me.
     "Oh sure let me take you to his office," I tell him as I slowly get up and walk him up the stairs in a tired and sloth like motion. I can feel stares but I don't care. We reach Alexander's office and I knock.
     "Alexander?" I ask as I open the door then continuing me sentence, "George Washington is here for you," My sentence is flat but it seems to startle him. He quickly makes his way over to his desk, hiding something behind him. I don't ask what he is hiding I just simply walk down the stairs back to Martha and John. I can hear the office door close as I finally sit back down on the couch. My legs ache for the sudden exercise.
     "We heard about Laurens," John says quietly. I don't respond I just turn and watch a bird dance outside the window. God I miss dancing, I forgot how much I loved it. Alexander said he wanted to see me dance but I doubt he has time for me anyway.
     "Please talk to us, we are always here for you," Martha tells me.
     "Hungry? Thirsty? Cold or hot?" I ask them trying to change the subject.
     "No, honey we are just fine," Martha says as she nods to John.
     "How are the kids John?" I ask him. I see a smile spread on his face.
     "They are amazing Alaska you should come by to see them soon," He tells me. I smile and nod a yes to him. I see George make his way down the stairs with a bouncing Alexander behind him. I smile bigger at his foolishness.
     "Alaska! Finally darling you are out of bed," He tells me. His violet-blue eyes are sparkling. How is he so happy? Didn't his bestfriend just die? I push away my thoughts.
     "Not for long so I'm going to retire for the night," I say as I stand up.
     "Alaska it is only four O'clock," John asks me.
     "Oh it is? I'm sorry for my bother I'm just tired," I say as I make my way up the stairs. I hear someone behind me but I don't look back. I turn to close the door and Alexander is standing in front of me.
    "Please don't go to bed yet," He begs.
    "Alexander I'm so tired though," I cry.
    "All you ever do is sleep," He asks.
    "And all you ever do is write! Good night!" I snap at him then I slam the door shut. I can hear him walk back downstairs as I get into his bed.