#1: Consequences

Part One

***

Loving you had consequences.

***

Camila groaned as the light entered and began to fill the room. She glanced at the clock and saw that it was already 10 o'clock. Throwing the duvet off her frame, she shivered as the cold air hit her naked body. A hand wrapped around her wrist as she was about to get off the bed.

"Where are you going?" The person asked.

Camila rolled her eyes and pulled her hand away. "The point of this is to be a one night stand, Maggie. Not every night for a month."

The woman chuckled and sat up on the bed. "I didn't see you complaining last night and the nights before. Why can't we make it a bit more serious? You know how I feel about you, Camila."

Camila collected her clothing that were scattered on the floor and began dressing. It had been like this for a few years now. It was anything to make the pain go away. Anything to stop her from thinking about her. But after everything, whilst her one night stands were fast asleep, she laid there, motionless, crying silent tears. Wishing that things would've worked out. Wishing that she still had her.

"I told you already, Maggie. I'm not good for you," she was finishing up on the buttons of her shirt when the woman stood in front of Camila and took her hands to stop her actions.

"What did she have that I don't, Camila? Tell me, please. I'll take care of you. I'll take care of your heart. Please just let me," Maggie pleaded. Her eyes filling with tears.

Camila sighed and ran a hand through her messy hair. Were they really going to go through this again?

"We've had this conversation every single day, Maggie," Camila moved away from her and started to pace. A nervous habit she had developed over the years. "I can't do this. I can't hurt you. I can't be with you."

Ever since she left, Camila hadn't been the same. She was always this happy and full of life person, but now? She was empty. She was broken. Just a shell of the person she used to be. She vowed to never let anyone in and so far, she was doing a good job at it. It had still hurt as though her heart was broken just yesterday. But it had been four years. Exactly four years today since she watched the love of her life walk away.

Maggie opened her mouth, but Camila shook her head and raised a hand to stop her.

"It's because I care about you, I don't want to hurt you. You're perfect, Mags. But I can't hurt someone like you. I can't give you the love that you so rightfully deserve."

The woman was tall, a figure to die for, beautiful more than words can even begin to describe. She had eyes that Camila could've gotten lost in for hours, but it wasn't the eyes she wanted to look into. She was sweet, funny, but she wasn't someone Camila wanted to give her heart to.

"Can I ask you for something stupid?" Maggie's voice was soft and pleading. "Can you... can you tell me you love me? I know you won't mean it. But I just want to hear it from you. I just want to know what it would've sounded like, how I would've felt if you said it."

Camila sighed. She wasn't going to say it, but when she saw the broken look in the woman's eyes, her mind changed. "I love you, Maggie."

The woman inhaled deeply. "Yeah. I was right."

The brunette's eyebrows furrowed. "What do you mean?"

"It was everything I wanted to hear. It made me feel everything I wanted to feel."