Chapter 31.

Josiah's eyes widen and so does mine. He quickly kneels on the floor beside him, shaking Travis out of the daze. "Where is Sam?" He says calmly, but stern.

No answer.

"WHERE IS SHE!" He yells, while shaking him back to reality.

"Josiah, give him a chance to speak." I interrupt.

"I..." Travis' eyes roll to the back of his head and he passes out. Josiah lets him go and looks at me worried. I get up, grabbing his hand this time, and I quickly go outside the gym, and it is freezing.

We see clouds of breaths from a huge crowd gathered outside the school perimeter, and I slowly ease myself into the crowd, seeing a horrible view of a car, wrapped around the light pole. It is the passenger side that is damaged, with the drivers door wide open, where Travis was able to get out.

Josiah releases my hand and sprints to the passenger side, where Sam sits, blood oozing slowly from her head all the way down her body. We can't tell if she is dead or alive and Josiah is trying to get her free, but one of the chaperones places her hands on his shoulder, and he quickly removes it, trying again to open the door, yelling out in frustration, with tears strolling down his face in the panic. More chaperones try to stop him, but he pushes them away, and then I come and say,"Josiah, help is on the way. You can't open this by youself okay." I try to soothe him, and he finally stops.

He turns and comes to me, placing his head on my shoulder, and I hug him tightly, and run my hand through his hair to soothe him as much as I can. 

"You have to call your Mom and Dad." I whisper, seeing the cold air  of my breath as I speak, and he nods his head and moves from my embrace, placing his hand on my shoulder, and walking back toward the school. I follow him so I can keep watch of him. 

He goes to his car, opening it, and takes out his phone, dialing his mom or dad's number.

"Hello. Mom, Sam was in a car accident, she is wrapped around the pole, I.." He wipes his eyes every now and then, but then can't take it anymore and starts crying and tries to compose himself. I take the phone, and he gives me a lot and I know he is afraid of what his mom will say about me, but I am not talking to her on behalf of me liking him, but this is about  my friend who is hurt.

"Hello. This is  Anamarie and like Josiah said, she is badly hurt, and we do not know if she is alive, but the ambulance are on their way. She is silent the whole time and I hang up, turn back to Josiah and he stumbles to the ground, and I get on my knees and hug him, tears falling down my face.

"It's going to be okay. It's going to be okay." I continually say so he feels better, and so I feel better. Those are the words I want to hear.

***

A few minutes later, Sam and Josiah's mom comes to the scene, and the ambulance, police and firefighters are already here. The firefighters are using machinery to cut open the car, which makes me flinch at the sound, hoping that they are in no way hurting her in the process. 

The chaperones and other students are told to leave, including me, and Josiah begs them not to because she is my friend, but his mom gives him a stare and he gives up. As I walk away, I look back and see Kayla standing there in tears.

She is not even part of the family. I think, then take out my cellphone from my purse and call Matthew.

"I need you here now. My.. f-f-f-friend has been in an accident." I shiver in the cold.

I stand at a distance and both Josiah and I have our eyes on one another, and I nod to let him know I'll be okay, and he turns around at the call of his name, and begins running to the car, as his mom and kayla are. They have taken Sam out.

This is the moment of fear. The moment to find out whether she is alive or not. I see the firefighters bend down and touch her neck and I can't tell whats going on because they have crowded her, even the police. I stand there in the cold, suddenly feeling warmth around my shoulders, and I feel a cotton knitted blanket over me, and look up to see Matthew.

"What happened?" He asks looking in surprise at the scene.

"Car crash." I say shortly, not wanting to speak anymore.

It's happening again and somehow I feel as though it is my fault. If only I agreed to go to the dance with her, this would not be happening.

It is all my fault.

The person who did this is long gone and this brings me back to when my brother and dad died and I feel light headed and stumble against Matthew, suddenly seeing darkness.