Chapter 26

It is the Wednesday and the winter dance is Friday, then winter break, and I still have not heard a word from James. Everytime we may even pass each other in the hallways, he would continue walking and talking to his friends as if I was just some random student.

Although Josiah and I made up two weeks ago, we still do not acknowledge our feelings to one another in public. He is afraid of what people will say about me and he decided that he wanted to let the situation that happened two weeks ago, cool down.

I am grateful for him constantly caring about me.

Kayla has stopped bothering me and actually stopped bothering everyone. She looks horrible these days, with a bum look. She doesn't talk to anyone, doesn't eat, and just goes on like a ghost. Josiah's breakup really impacted her and I feel so bad about it.

I am walking to third period and I spot James alone. I take this opportunity and walk in front of him, which startles him.

"Hey." I say hoping he doesn't flick me off or something.

"Hi." He says awkwardly, looking around us, noticing many people stopping to look at us.

They are definitely not over the whore thing.

"So..how have you been?" I ask, looking into his eyes and he doesn't really look at me, but looks behind me as I speaks.

He sighs,"Look Anamarie. This is awkward.  I still need space."

"So what's going to happen with us?"

"There is no us. I can't be with you and I thought you realized that from that day I found out you cheated on me." He says with sorrow."I did like you, but now I can't say that I do. Not even as friends. It seems like you and Josiah are already getting back together. I saw you guys two weeks ago hugging each other. Did you ever really like me?

"I..." I have nothing really to say. I know I like him, but not in the way he would want me to, so I just don't say anything and he is getting irritated.

"I don't think I can forgive you and I really don't want to talk to you either. Can you respect that?"

I have no right to be angry so I don't get mad, but just nod and he walks away, leaving me to stand there all alone.

I see him stop and turn around, "I'm sorry, but I will not be going to the dance with you." He turns to leave again and the bell sounds off and at this point I don't even care if I am late or not.

***

 I get home and my mom is waiting for me.

"What is it?" I say, opening and closing the refrigerator as I find something to eat.

"I am going out with Matthew today." She says waiting for me to say something and I just look at her and shrug.It has been about a month since the two started dating and I do not even know why she has to constantly tell me that they are going out on a date."He's coming and he wanted to meet you, so I would like you to behave."

"Mom what am I going to do? Bring up dad?" She flinches and I know she hates when I even mention him because it bothers her and makes her feel guilty. I know I am being selfish and I see how much she wants to move on.

She sighs and goes back to her room and gets ready. I just go to my room, put my headphones on, and drown myself into music to take my mind off things.

***

An hour later my mom comes into my room, dressed in a nice fitted red dress that really emphasizes her breast and butt and my mouth is wide open. She looks gorgeous.

"Mom... You look.."

"Is it too much?" She asks standing awkwardly at the door.

I wonder if I should tell the truth. I think for a second and then begin, "Yeah. You look amazing mom."

"Great, he's in the living room and I want you to meet him. I know you do not like that I want to move on, but I really like him."

I don't say anything and just drop my phone and headphones and I am about to walk outside when my mom blocks the door way. She points at my body up and down and I see what she means. I am wearing a tangtop with no bra and some booty short pajamas. I smile and gesture her to leave and change my clothes to something more presentable. A t-shirt and sweatpants.

When I walk into the living room, a handsome black man is sitting down, with his arms resting on his knee, and his hands crossed together, looking seriously at the tile and right away I think he is weird. I step closer and the man looks right up at me and he gets up quickly, wiping his hands on his pants and coming towards me.

"Hi Anamarie, I am Matthew. It is a pleasure to finally meet you." He extends his hand and I shake it, feeling some moisture from it that I presume was the sweat he attempted to wipe off.

"Yeah. Nice to meet you too." I say not too excitedly and he notices it, which makes him more nervous.

My mom is standing behind him, giving me the eye and I ignore her and continue looking at this nervous wreck of a man.

"So I heard you like Soccer."

"Yeah, I do." I say flatly.

He begins walking towards the side of the coach and takes out a duffle bag and opens it, taking out some shirts."I heard your favorite teams are Manchester United and Arsenal, so I bought you these shirts and a signed Manchester United ball, by Wayne Rooney." He says putting the shirts back in the bag and handing them to me.

I stood there shocked and did not even take the bags and then next thing you know, I am screaming at the top of my lungs.

"Oh my Goodness. I can't believe you got me all this.Thank you sooo much." I yell, jumping with excitement.

"My pleasure." He says and he is no longer tense.

I think I like this guy. He won my heart through Soccer. I take my things and then say,"Have fun you two."

"We will." My mom practically sings and he opens the door for her, waiting for her to go first. He is such a gentleman, which makes me happy that he will treat her right.

I take a picture of the things and then I go to the computer room, log on to facebook, and post them. I received many likes and then Josiah messages me.