Chapter 29

It is Friday and it is also 40 degrees out, which is pretty cold for Florida.  Today is also the dance and I have no date and school is out  so everyone can find their clothes for tonight.

James made sure that I knew I wasn't going with him and he asked Diana.

Weeks ago, I found out it was Diana who talked to Kayla about Josiah and I. She's also the one who spreaded those rumors about me in the beginning of the year, making fun of Kayla because I beat her in soccer.I don't know why she would even do that, but Josiah told me that she probably was Jealous. Anyway, I already shopped for the dress, which is a strapless, white and peach skater dress.

I know its probably a dumb idea to wear the dress in this weather, but its gonna be fun.My doorbell rings and I hear my mom call me. "Samantha is here." She yells to me.Before I can even get out of my room, Sam comes to me and hugs me tightly as usual.

"Hey girlie, ready for tonight?" She plops herself on my bed, as if it is her own house, and of course I don't mind.

I shrug my shoulders. "Yeah I got my dress and all.." I say, standing awkwardly by my door post.

"I'm sorry about James. If you want, I can tell Travis that I want to go with you and I'll make him go solo." Sam says.

"I'm fine, don't worry. I don't mind being alone." I start walking towards my bed to lay down next to Sam.

"I need to tell you something." Sam, sits up, with a serious look."I think my mom is forcing Josiah to go with Kayla. He says no, but she threatens to take his car."

I am sitting up, with shock on my face and a little annoyance.

Why does she have to do that? He loves that car.

Sam looks very apologetic and I get off my bed and stand to look at her."It's not the end of the world. If she wants him to take her, he can.  We aren't even dating."

"But you guys might as well be. Although I find it disturbing, didn't he come to your house wednesday and you two almost had sex?" She crosses her arms, grinning.

I sigh. "Not really. We both have never mentioned it. I just don't know what could stop us now. We are both single."

"Single, yes. But my mom and Kayla are the problem."

I stand there quiet, knowing that all Sam is saying is true. I can't match up to Kayla in his own mother's eyes. I will never be the girlfriend she would want for him.

She gets off the bed and comes towards me."Josiah will be old enough to make his own decisions and really, even now he is."

"Yeah I know. But how good is he at knowing that he can do that? From what I noticed, he seems to follow what everyone else wants him to do."

"That is not necessarily all true. He stood up to Kayla for you and let me tell you, Josiah has never ever done that for anybody. He would just watch on the sidelines, dismissing the fact that she bullies people. You are special in his eyes and I know he will do something for the two of you."

I definitely agreed with that .

***

It's already 7:00 and the dance will start at 8, so I quickly put on my clothes for this night. I decide not to wear a mask just to bother Kayla. I sit in front of my mirror at my face, and realize I should do something different. I decide to straighten my hair.

"Anamarie are you ready?"

"Yes." I say and walk in the living room to her and Matthew, who are both smiling widely at my entrance.

"You look drop dead gorgeous." Matthew says, handing me a bouquet of Lillies, my favorite flowers.

"I feel as though this is too much. A bouquet a flowers?" I smile.

"What? I thought since it would be your firt dance in highschool as a freshman, you should feel special. But, I wonder why tonight is not so complete. Where is your date?" He asks and I stop smiling and look at my mom.

"Matthew.." She grabs his arms and he looks at both of us confused. "She is going alone. She does not need a date." My mom comes to me, placing both hands on my shoulders." She can do perfectly fine alone. She has learned all these years how to."

"I'm sorry." Matthew says.

"It's no big deal. Now can we leave all this mushy stuff home and get to the dance before its over?" I start walking out the door to the BMW that Matthew owns. He comes running quickly in front of me and opens the passenger seat door for me, and I look at my mom, who is standing by the door post, with crossed arms as she feels the cold smack against her, smiling at the both of us and waving goodbye.

"Wait, you're not coming?"

"Nope. Matt will take you and pick you up when you are done, if you need a ride."

Oh boy. She wants me to bond with him, so he must be a keeper. I think to myself.

I slowly get into the car, and forgot Matthew was still holding the car door, but closed it when I was fully in the car. He then runs to my mom, hugs and kisses her, and comes into the car, throwing a blanket on my lap to wrap myself with. He starts the car, putting the heater on and we leave the driveway.

Now we are off to the dance.

 "So you don't have a boyfriend?" He asks after the awkward silence, ten minutes after driving.

"No, broke up." I say, looking at the scenary outside the car.

"Why? If you don't mind me asking."

"I mind." I say.

"Oh sorry. Then can I guess?" He asks, not giving up and I turn giving him a glare, which he shrugs his shoulders in return.

"You really want to know huh?" I asks and he nods. "Well let's say I am nothing like my mom. I cheated on him. Fell in love with another guy.." I wait for a response and he doesn't give me one.

"All I can say is, you can't choose who you fall in love with. At times you may never think it will happen, but then out of nowhere you like the one person you are unlikely to like. Atleast you did not continue this relationship with your ex. Are you with the boy you like?"

Silence.

"..No..It's complicated. I say after a few minutes.

"Well you are beautiful. If this guy really likes you, he will do something about it. All the best, Anamarie."

"Thanks." I smile and look out the window again.

I hope.