The Life Of A Teenage Half-Vampire

Chapter Four... A Lifetime To Become A Doctor

I sat up late that night thinking about Clare, Quil, and the girl who tore them apart, Mira. It made me sick to my stomach; could that happen to Jacob and me? Could he imprint on someone else, and leave me alone, pregnant and scared? I thought about the future a lot, but this was the first time I'd ever thought that anything could come between me and Jacob...

But as I sat there, I remembered something from when I was little; I had seen my father study effortlessly to get yet another medical degree, and I curiously wondered when he would put his degrees to use and become a doctor. I wanted to be a doctor too, but first I wanted to live. After all, I had a lifetime to become a doctor... a never-ending lifetime. And though I was going to be frozen as a seventeen year old forever, I would somehow figure out a way to become like my dream.

I laid down on my bed, and heard the distinct footsteps of my mother approaching my room; I said quietly "come in" and she glided toward me before sitting on the end of my bed. She looked worried, so I sat up.

"Hi, Ness," she whispered. I smiled weakly.

"Hey, mom," I replied. "What's wrong?"

"Ness, Alice and I have been talking a lot lately, about you," mom began. I looked at her blankly.

"Umm... ok," was all I managed to get out.

"Well, Alice has kind of been planning your wedding already," she continued. "But she's asked me to help. And, well, we need some of your own ideas to contribute to your own wedding. After all, Alice gets a little carried away.

"Yes, she does," I chuckled.

"Is there anything in particular you want in your wedding, Ness?" mom asked. I thought about it, and my answer was perfect.

"I wanna meet Grandma Renee," I declared finally. Mom gasped.

"I haven't seen her in seventeen years, Ness!" she screeched. "She doesn't know I'm a vampire, she doesn't know I haven't aged a day since I had you... and she doesn't know I have a seventeen year old daughter that I had merely weeks after my wedding in what would be the world's shortest pregnancy!" I flinched a little.

"But mom, I want her to meet me," I pleaded. "I want my whole family there, and she's part of it."

"But.." mom whispered.

"I have three tickets to go visit her in Jacksonville, mom," I grinned. "It's gonna happen one day. Let's rip off the bandaid."

Mom chuckled. "Fine," she said, giving up. "We'll go tomorrow."