The Life Of A Teenage Half-Vampire Part 12

Chapter Ten... A Funeral, A Wedding And A Premature Birth

It had been four days since the passing of Billy Black. As I awoke on the unusually sunny morning in Forks, I dreaded the dark day ahead of me as we went to farewell an old friend; a family member. Mom had allowed Alice to pick out the most respectful black clothes we owned... or for a few of us, she bought new clothes. Today I dressed in a little black dress that had half-sleeves and a belt across the middle. My hair was neatly pulled back into a pony tail, and I wore dark make-up, much to my protest and dismay. My high heels were uncomfortable, but they were pretty.

We all made our way down to the garage. Mom, dad and I piled into mom's red Ferrari; dad, however, insisted on driving it. Alice, Jasper, Rosalie and Emmett took to taking Rosalie's convertible, which she reluctantly allowed Emmett to drive. Esme and Carlisle took Carlisle's car.

My parents had been happy with the way I handled Angela when I ran into her at the café. They were worried she might show at the funeral, until Jacob assured us that the funeral was invite-only, for our sake. I was looking forward to seeing Jacob and spending time with him; I had only seen him for a few minutes since Billy died. I sat silently in the car on the way to the funeral as my parents discussed returning to school. They had been considering attending La Push High School ever since they enrolled me a few years ago. I begged them to wait until I was a senior, then it wouldn't look so suspiscious.

We pulled up at the Quileute cemetery in a relatively short time. I hurriedly got out of the car and began searching for Jacob. His twin sisters were huddled together, talking quickly and quietly amongst each other. The cemetery was full of many people I knew from school, and a few I didn't know at all. We all took seats at the front. Jacob spotted us, so he came and sat in the empty seat next to me.

"I was hoping you would get here earlier, Ness," Jacob whispered, kissing me lightly. I studied his face; his eyes were hard, and I had a feeling he was fighting the urge to cry.

"Wardrobe malfunction," I whispered back. I noticed Alice give me a foul look as I looked at her.

"I remember the last funeral I went to," Jacob said blankly. "Harry Clearwater. I was sixteen."

"As in actually sixteen?" I teased. He laughed under his breath.

"Yeah," he replied.

"Harry Clearwater? Was he Seth and Leah's dad?" I questioned sternly.

"Yeah," Jacob repeated. "He died of a heart attack. I was busy saving your drowning mom when he died," he added, looking at mom. She looked at us, frowned, then returned to staring at the coffin like she was doing before.

"I didn't know my mom nearly drowned," I whispered. Jacob giggled softly.

"Your dad had... gone away," he said uneasily. "I was becoming good friends with your mom, and she was getting more and more prone to life-threatening idiocy. But after that, she took off to Italy looking for your dad... with your Aunt Alice." I had a feeling there was a reason no one had ever told me this story before. I had known that Jacob took an interest in my mom, and they had even shared a heated kiss, but I didn't know the full story. Jacob seemed to remember hurt from that time, and i didn't push him to tell me any more about it.

"History..." I mumbled. "You have me now," I smiled, hugging him tightly.

We sat in silence as the Reverend took to his podium. The funeral began, and I could feel the tears welling in my eyes. Clare sat next to me, and Jacob went and joined his sisters to comfort them. I watched Jacob break down in tears... he had lost both his parents now. Clare and I hugged each other throughout most of the funeral, and watched as a single balloon, with messages from Jacob, Rachel and Rebecca, ascended into the sky...